Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BBIUser
Helper IV
Helper IV

Version Control Using SharePoint-Error while opening .pbix in Power BI Desktop from File Explorer

I was not sure in which forum I should post this question, but I took a call to do it here.

I read few articles that 'version control' of all the .pbix/.pbit files can be done using SharePoint or One Drive. But I could not find the workflow on how to do it from end to end.

These are steps I followed to open the 'Checked Out' .pbix file from File Explorer.

Step1: Created a .pbix file in Power BI Desktop.

Step2: Uploaded the new .pbix file to the SharePoint (Site) which will be in a company's network location.

Step3: Check out the .pbix file in SharePoint (Site).

Step4: Navigate to the 'File Explorer' (Network location) to open the .pbix file in a Power BI Desktop.

After the 4th step I am getting this error.

3.png

I have several questions since we have "NEW WORKSPACES PREVIEW" now.

1) How to open the checked out .pbix file in Power BI Desktop? 

Do I need to download .pbix file manually from SharePoint Site even though I check out the file and then open the file in Power BI Desktop?

2) 'Get Data' from Power BI Desktop connects to the SharePoint folder but how do I get the actual datasource fields?

3) Related to "NEW WORKSPACES PREVIEW":

'Get Data' > 'Get Files' from Power BI Service connects  to the SharePoint - Team Site. I can connect and open the report and dataset in Power BI Service.

But if I want it again to use it as Power BI Desktop file, do I need to download the .pbix file from Power BI Service and then update the dataset or report?

I thought there is direct check in - check out process because of the integration between Power BI and SharePoint (or OneDrive) 

I am having hard time to digest and understand how the version control works with SharePoint and One Drive. Am I missing any steps here with the latest version updates.

Any help is appreciated. 

Is there any guide or article where this workflow is explained or tells how the version control works with the latest version update?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @BBIUser,

I have asked the Product Group for more details, I will post the information once I get any updates. And I suggest you could just download the pbix file manually from SharePoint Site and then open the file in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-danhe-msft Daniel He. 

I will wait for your post. Appreciate it!

Hi @BBIUser,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-danhe-msft.

I am doing it manually until Microsoft provides solution for version control. Is there anything in development pipleline?

Is there are any other alternate that we can use for Power BI Version control? Something like VSTS.

Thanks!

Hi @BBIUser,

The Product Group have replied me that now Power BI could not support the feature to open the pbix file in Power BI Desktop from the SharePoint. 

Hope the message could help you.

Regards,

Daniel HE

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.