cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perpor Member

Verify the use of 'Import' or 'Direct Query'

Good morning

I have some reports working and made in the last month, using Sql server data (db).

I need to verify if in these reports the data are read using 'Import' or 'Direct Query'

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Verify the use of 'Import' or 'Direct Query'

@perpor in the Desktop you can select Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings -> it will show you import or direct query

If you are in the Service you can click on the elipses next to the dataset -> Settings -> and the gateway should tell you if you are in direct query mode. (If it doesn't, you can just check if you can create a scheduled refresh, you can with import, you can't with direct query).

Near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

@perpor in the Desktop you can select Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings -> it will show you import or direct query

If you are in the Service you can click on the elipses next to the dataset -> Settings -> and the gateway should tell you if you are in direct query mode. (If it doesn't, you can just check if you can create a scheduled refresh, you can with import, you can't with direct query).

View solution in original post

perpor Member

Thanks !  I have already some problems to understand completely the differences between the two options, but in our Service we can always schedule a refresh that is working well after some months... so we have reports that use only 'import'

(In desktop Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings -> I can't see the lines with the different options.. import or direct query)

karenatqc Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

In Edit Queries / Query Editor, click on Source under Applied Steps, Edit Settings. It will bring the original connection screen with connectivity mode selection you’ve made.

jpriemer Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @karenatqc, I'm looking to see if my report uses directquery or import but do not see the selection under Edit Queries / Query Editor, click on Source under Applied Steps, Edit Settings. Any other way to tell? I am not the original creator and do not have access to the SQL tables. Is this why my view doesn't include the connection mode? 

PBI Connection Mode.PNG

Super User
Super User

@jpriemer MySql is not the same as SQL. MySQL is not a supported datasource for Direct Query

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-data-sources

tekinbk Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hey everyone,

Obviously, some time passed on this topic but I have just started learning Power Bi and required this information as well. Since someone needs it later on, I put here the way of how I find "Data Connectivity Mode" information.

I am using the version released in April 2019. You can go to View and check "Field Properties" or right-click on a table and select "Properties" from the bottom of opened context menu.  You will see "Storage Mode" and, since Data Connectivity Mode is basically the selection of the "Storage Mode", you can see what is your decision and also you are able to change it to other two options "DirectQuery" and "Dual" respectively.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 365 members 3,707 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: