Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

perpor
Helper V
Helper V

Verify the use of 'Import' or 'Direct Query'

Good morning

I have some reports working and made in the last month, using Sql server data (db).

I need to verify if in these reports the data are read using 'Import' or 'Direct Query'

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@perpor in the Desktop you can select Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings -> it will show you import or direct query

If you are in the Service you can click on the elipses next to the dataset -> Settings -> and the gateway should tell you if you are in direct query mode. (If it doesn't, you can just check if you can create a scheduled refresh, you can with import, you can't with direct query).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Not solved. Please show a screen shot of where in Power BI it shows the dirrerence between Import and Direct Query mode. Thanks. Yes using MS SQL Server.

tushartechlab
Advocate II
Advocate II

Morning Fellas,

I did come down to this thread this morning, however I was not able to locate that whether the data set that my report was using was in Import or Direct Query mode. Eventually I figured it out. So this is when I am working on Power BI Desktop Version 2.75 (November, 2019).

So to check the mode, 

1. Click on "Data" tab int the left pane, which has the 3 buttons (report, data and model)

2. Hover over the fields on the right pane. A tooltip will appear which will tell you the Storage Mode : (Direct Query/Import).

Image for reference.

PowerBI Storage ModePowerBI Storage Mode

And that's it.

Let me know if you still not able to locate.

Regards,

Tushar

Yes this worked for me and can be the accepted solution in my opinion. Keep up the great work.

In the version I'm using (28 Aug 2020, Version: 2.84.861.0 64-bit (August 2020)), you can now be in the Report view (the one that shows the canvas), and point to a table in the Fields pane on the right-hand side and a pop-up will appear. See the associated images.

Import or DirectQuery 2.PNG

Not seeing "Data" option in the left pane. do you know why?

image.png

Hey @saleti 

I guess this is because all of your datasets may be in "Direct Query" mode. Generally when you use "Direct Query" in data sources or "Live Connection" in analysis services sources, the data tab is not shown. It is possible that all your data sets are in direct / live query mode so it is nto visible. Try adding  a simple (sys.tables) data set in import mode into the power bi desktop and see if it starts becoming visible. Or take a new report, add one source in import mode and then add the others in direct query mode and it should start showing.

This is a problem that a lot of people have run into.

Let me know if that works. 

Regards,

Tushar

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone,

Obviously, some time passed on this topic but I have just started learning Power Bi and required this information as well. Since someone needs it later on, I put here the way of how I find "Data Connectivity Mode" information.

I am using the version released in April 2019. You can go to View and check "Field Properties" or right-click on a table and select "Properties" from the bottom of opened context menu.  You will see "Storage Mode" and, since Data Connectivity Mode is basically the selection of the "Storage Mode", you can see what is your decision and also you are able to change it to other two options "DirectQuery" and "Dual" respectively.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,

Anonymous
Not applicable

As of today, 2020-01-08, the Power BI Service gateway section no longer defines whether a Power BI report is an Import-Mode report or a Direct Query report.

However, I have discovered another way to identify what kind of report you are looking at in the Power BI Service. As previously mentioned, you can navigate to a report's dataset list item on the left-hand side quick access navigation pane (that's what they named it in their HTML), click that dataset's ellipsis button, and navigate to the dataset's Settings page.

Here is how you can use the dataset's Settings page to distinguish the two types of Connectivity Modes in the Power BI Service:

• Import Mode will show a section called "Scheduled refresh".
  • Direct Query Mode will show a section called "Scheduled cache refresh" (italics added by me).

I am actually using this dinstiction in a google chrome extension I am writing to display Power BI Reports (now BOTH Import and Direct Query reports) as a real-time, updating slideshow.

Cheers.

Best Regards,

Daniel

@perpor in the Desktop you can select Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings -> it will show you import or direct query

If you are in the Service you can click on the elipses next to the dataset -> Settings -> and the gateway should tell you if you are in direct query mode. (If it doesn't, you can just check if you can create a scheduled refresh, you can with import, you can't with direct query).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings

Thanks !  I have already some problems to understand completely the differences between the two options, but in our Service we can always schedule a refresh that is working well after some months... so we have reports that use only 'import'

(In desktop Edit Queries -> Data Source Settings -> I can't see the lines with the different options.. import or direct query)

In Edit Queries / Query Editor, click on Source under Applied Steps, Edit Settings. It will bring the original connection screen with connectivity mode selection you’ve made.

Hi @karenatqc, I'm looking to see if my report uses directquery or import but do not see the selection under Edit Queries / Query Editor, click on Source under Applied Steps, Edit Settings. Any other way to tell? I am not the original creator and do not have access to the SQL tables. Is this why my view doesn't include the connection mode? 

PBI Connection Mode.PNG

@jpriemer MySql is not the same as SQL. MySQL is not a supported datasource for Direct Query

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-data-sources

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.