Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Variable parameter in DAX formula

Hello everyone,

I have an issue that I am struggling with and I hope that you can help me with my issue. 

In Power BI I want to calculate whether there is a certain exceedance or not. For that I want to use a 'Checkdate'. If the provided date is smaller than the checkdate, then it is an exceedance, otherwise it is not an exceedance.

The simple form of the DAX formula I am talking about is shown below:

Exceedance=
IF (Finishdate.[Date]<Checkdate && Date2.[Date]<Checkdate;"Yes";"No")

Now I want to make the Checkdate a parameter that my fellow colleagues can adjust in the Power BI Service environment.

However, I don't know how to make it work. At the moment I have implemented the Checkdate as a refreshdate, which is implemented by using the date of today (by using UTCNow()), however, that does not fit this solution anymore because the Checkdate has to be dynamic in the report. 

I also don't want to hard code the date of Checkdate in all the similar formulas I have implemented. The Checkdate should be controlled by only 1 parameter.

(What I have also tried is to make a datetable in which a calendar function is used to show all the dates starting from beginning of 2018 until the end of 2019. And then I tried to define a measure and use the filter measure as the Checkdate parameter. This does work in a Card visual (which I want to use to show the Checkdate), but it does not act that way in the DAX formula.)

I hope my description of the issue is clear to you.

Could you help me?

Kind regards,

Jasper Sival

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Jasper,

A new Date table could be the best choice, but there is something to consider. 

1. No relationship should be created.

2. There could be no selection or multi-selection. Try a measure like below, please.

Exceedance =
VAR checkDate =
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Calendar'[Datekey] );
        MIN ( 'Calendar'[Datekey] );
        TODAY ()
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        MIN ( Finishdate.[Date] ) < Checkdate
            && MIN ( Date2.[Date] ) < Checkdate;
        "Yes";
        "No"
    )

3. It should be a measure rather than a calculated column.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

thank you for your response. I have confirmed that your solution works when I want to define a a measure this way. Somehow it doesn't seem to work for calculated columns which is what is necessary to implement the full solution. 

Is there a similar approach by using dynamic parameters which can be used for calculated columns?

If so, how?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Jasper

Hi Jasper,

The calculated columns can't respond to the slicer. So we can't do it like the measure. There could be a workaround. Please refer to the snapshot. We can add a new column in the Query Editor with parameters. Finally, you can change the parameter. But it can't as dynamic as a slicer.

Variable-parameter-in-DAX-formula

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.