Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Russ
Helper I
Helper I

Variable in URL

Is it possible to replace the day, month, year values in the following source URL with variables?

let
Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGEORGEG2&day=3&month=3&year=2017&dayend=12&monthend=3&yearend=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),

For example, I would like to replace day=3 with Date.Day(Date.AddDays(DateTime.LocalNow(), -10))

Thanks,

Russ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @Russ

What you could do is in the Query Editor click on the Manage Parameters and create a new Parameter as with my Example it is called "DateDay"

And then you would put this into your query below

let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGEORGEG2&day= " & #"DateDay" & " &month= " & #"DateDay" & "&year=2017&dayend=12&monthend= " & #"DateDay" & " &yearend=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),
    Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Data0,{"Kind", "Name", "Text"}),
    #"Expanded Children" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Children", {"Children"}, {"Children.Children"}),
    #"Expanded Children.Children" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Expanded Children", "Children.Children", {"Text"}, {"Children.Children.Text"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Children.Children", each ([Children.Children.Text] <> null)),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Filtered Rows","Children.Children.Text",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Children.Children.Text.1", "Children.Children.Text.2", "Children.Children.Text.3", "Children.Children.Text.4", "Children.Children.Text.5", "Children.Children.Text.6", "Children.Children.Text.7", "Children.Children.Text.8", "Children.Children.Text.9", "Children.Children.Text.10", "Children.Children.Text.11", "Children.Children.Text.12", "Children.Children.Text.13", "Children.Children.Text.14", "Children.Children.Text.15", "Children.Children.Text.16"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Children.Children.Text.1", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.2", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.3", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.4", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.5", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.6", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.7", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.8", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.9", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.10", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.11", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.12", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.13", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.14", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.15", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.16", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Children.Children.Text.1", "Children.Children.Text.3"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Other Columns")
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

If you look at the code you will see that I have replaced the 3 with the following: " & #"DateDay" & " 

And this is the name of the parameter I defined earlier.

I tried this syntax in my Query Editor and it works as expected.

I hope that it helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Russ

To replace day = 3 you can use suggested string 😉

Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGEORGEG2&
Date.Day(Date.AddDays(DateTime.LocalNow(), -10)
&month=3&year=2017&dayend=12&monthend=3&yearend=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),d=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),

you may even go deeper and create a parameter:

Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGEORGEG2&
DAY & 
&month=3&year=2017&dayend=12&monthend=3&yearend=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),

and the parameter for DAY is:

Date.Day(Date.AddDays(DateTime.LocalNow(), -10))

HI @Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. 

Apologies as I was not totally clear, but I was only looking to replace the 3 with a variable (not day =3). As per your suggestion above, if I simply replace the 3 with the code 

Date.Day(Date.AddDays(DateTime.LocalNow(), -10))

the query does not work as intended.

To see the issue my original query is below, returning the average temperature from a weather station for the previous 10 days.

let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGEORGEG2&day=3&month=3&year=2017&dayend=12&monthend=3&yearend=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),
    Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
    #"Expanded Children" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Children", {"Children"}, {"Children.Children"}),
    #"Expanded Children.Children" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Expanded Children", "Children.Children", {"Text"}, {"Children.Children.Text"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Children.Children", each ([Children.Children.Text] <> null)),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Filtered Rows","Children.Children.Text",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Children.Children.Text.1", "Children.Children.Text.2", "Children.Children.Text.3", "Children.Children.Text.4", "Children.Children.Text.5", "Children.Children.Text.6", "Children.Children.Text.7", "Children.Children.Text.8", "Children.Children.Text.9", "Children.Children.Text.10", "Children.Children.Text.11", "Children.Children.Text.12", "Children.Children.Text.13", "Children.Children.Text.14", "Children.Children.Text.15", "Children.Children.Text.16"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Children.Children.Text.1", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.2", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.3", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.4", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.5", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.6", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.7", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.8", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.9", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.10", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.11", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.12", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.13", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.14", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.15", type text}, {"Children.Children.Text.16", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Children.Children.Text.1", "Children.Children.Text.3"}),
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

hi @Russ

What you could do is in the Query Editor click on the Manage Parameters and create a new Parameter as with my Example it is called "DateDay"

And then you would put this into your query below

let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IGEORGEG2&day= " & #"DateDay" & " &month= " & #"DateDay" & "&year=2017&dayend=12&monthend= " & #"DateDay" & " &yearend=2017&graphspan=custom&format=1")),
    Data0 = Source{0}[Data],
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

If you look at the code you will see that I have replaced the 3 with the following: " & #"DateDay" & " 

And this is the name of the parameter I defined earlier.

I tried this syntax in my Query Editor and it works as expected.

I hope that it helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

That works very well. Many thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.