Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CalClack
Helper II
Helper II

Variable code

Community, I am baffled why my variable code is not working as programmed for.  See the attached Excel with explantion.  Basically, my first page displays just fine but the second page is exlcuding one of the fields. 

CalClack_0-1597245924783.png

CalClack_1-1597245980355.png

The actual code:

VariableMeasureValue = IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="C_electric_previous" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[C electric previous])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="D_electric_ current" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[D electric current])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="E_actual_calculated_units" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[E actual calculated units])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="F_previous_units_used" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[F previous units used])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="G_Calculated_Electric_Prct" , (SUM(fact_MeterReading[G Calculated Electric Prct])*100.00),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="I_Total_Electricty" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[I Billed Electricity])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="L_Total_Gas" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[O Billed Gas])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="R adjustments" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[R correction])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="Total_Billing" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[S Total Billed]))
))))))))

Thanks in advance.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

a) Pull MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name] as a variable at the start of your measure, would allow the if statement to look a lot cleaner. Using switch rather than if would probably be cleaner still

b) What are you trying to display? I can see from your slicer you've got two things selected, MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name] is only going to have one value, surely?

View solution in original post

Hi @CalClack,

Try it like this, much easier to read

VariableMeasureValue = 
IF(hasonevalue(dim_Column[Report_column_name]),
SWITCH(VALUES(dim_Column[Report_column_name]),
"C_electric_previous" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[C electric previous]),
"D_electric_ current" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[D electric current]),
"E_actual_calculated_units" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[E actual calculated units]),
"F_previous_units_used" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[F previous units used]),
"G_Calculated_Electric_Prct" , SUM(fact_MeterReading[G Calculated Electric Prct])*100.00,
"I_Total_Electricty" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[I Billed Electricity]),
"L_Total_Gas" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[O Billed Gas]),
"R adjustments" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[R correction]),
"Total_Billing" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[S Total Billed])), 
Blank())

Hope this Helps,

Richard 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

CalClack
Helper II
Helper II

CalClack_0-1597257667117.png

Yup. Much easier to read and right off I spotted the problem. 

Your code reads:

VariableMeasureValue =
"E_actual_calculated_units" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[E actual calculated units]),
"G_Calculated_Electric_Prct" , SUM(fact_MeterReading[G Calculated Electric Prct])*100.00,
Blank())

where it should be, and not fault of you because you had no idea where I was getting my column names:

VariableMeasureValue = IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="C_electric_previous" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[C electric previous])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="D_electric_ current" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[D electric current])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="E_actual_calculated_units" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[E actual calculated units])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="F_previous_units_used" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[F previous units used])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="G_Calculated_Electric_Prct" , (SUM(fact_MeterReading[G Calculated Electric Prct])*100.00),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="I_Total_Electricty" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[I Billed Electricity])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="L_Total_Gas" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[O Billed Gas])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="R_correction" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[R correction])),
IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="Total_Billing" , SUM('fact_MeterReading'[S Total Billed]))
))))))))

Thanks to all who jumped on this help right away.  You guys are the best !!!

Regards,

Cal Clack in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

5 REPLIES 5
CalClack
Helper II
Helper II

CalClack_0-1597257667117.png

Yup. Much easier to read and right off I spotted the problem. 

Your code reads:

VariableMeasureValue =
Blank())

where it should be, and not fault of you because you had no idea where I was getting my column names:

IF(MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name])="R_correction" , (SUM('fact_MeterReading'[R correction])),
))))))))

Thanks to all who jumped on this help right away.  You guys are the best !!!

Regards,

Cal Clack in Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

CalClack
Helper II
Helper II

All Report_column selected but "R_correction" is the only one not being loaded.

CalClack_0-1597252864017.png

Hi @CalClack,

Try it like this, much easier to read

VariableMeasureValue = 
Blank())

Hope this Helps,

Richard 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

a) Pull MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name] as a variable at the start of your measure, would allow the if statement to look a lot cleaner. Using switch rather than if would probably be cleaner still

b) What are you trying to display? I can see from your slicer you've got two things selected, MAX(dim_Column[Report_column_name] is only going to have one value, surely?

"R correction" not being retrieved but "Total Billing" is.  Thanks in advance.

CalClack_0-1597252448950.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.