cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
e17aguilar Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Variable code in advanced editor

I'm wondering if I can replace a piece of code in the advanced editor with a parameter (or something else) that contents the same piece of code. For example, if I want to change the type of each column:

1) This is the line recorded by Power Query Editor, and I want to replace the bolded code with a parameter (because the numbers of columns can change in this query, and also the columns name can change):

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers", {{""Etap"", Int64.Type}, {""Ser."", Int64.Type}, {""Bloq"", Int64.Type}}),

2) Then I create a text parameter, named Parameter1, with the following value:

{{""Etap"", Int64.Type}, {""Ser."", Int64.Type}, {""Bloq"", Int64.Type}}

3) And try to replace the parameter in the advanced editor line (I'm not sure of the syntax):

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers", Parameter1),

4) But this error message is displayed:

Error.PNG

Let me know if there is any other way to replace a piece of code with something else instead of a parameter. Mainly because I have a variable number of columns in a query.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Variable code in advanced editor

Hi @e17aguilar,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Create the parameter in the query editor and just enter the column name like the picture below:

1.PNG

Modify the code in the advanced language:

2.PNG

Now you could see the result.

3.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for your help. You helped me to unterstand that I should use a variable list instead of a parameter. 

I continued my research with this idea on mind, and I found this post, by THE BICCOUNTANT:

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/09/dynamic-bulk-type-transformation-in-power-query-power-bi-a...

They explain in a very short and simple way how to dynamically change the type from each column in a table, using a list that contains the name of all columns from the queried table.

Kind regards, 

Ernesto J. Aguilar

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @e17aguilar,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Create the parameter in the query editor and just enter the column name like the picture below:

1.PNG

Modify the code in the advanced language:

2.PNG

Now you could see the result.

3.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for your help. You helped me to unterstand that I should use a variable list instead of a parameter. 

I continued my research with this idea on mind, and I found this post, by THE BICCOUNTANT:

https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/09/dynamic-bulk-type-transformation-in-power-query-power-bi-a...

They explain in a very short and simple way how to dynamically change the type from each column in a table, using a list that contains the name of all columns from the queried table.

Kind regards, 

Ernesto J. Aguilar

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @e17aguilar,

Thanks for your sharing, It's pleasant that your problem has been solved, could you please mark the helpful reply as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He