Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Var Dateadd Alternative

The Why: So I am building out a visualization that leverages time as a filter/slicer to pick between two points in time. From that filtering/slicer of time (which should be this year), I'm looking to see a like for like comparison between the slicer option, and 1 year ago, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, etc.

The How: Basically, if I were to pick a date range between 8/1/2018 - 12/31/2018 I would want to have a series of values summed for 8/1/2017 - 12/31/2017 (-1 Year) next to a series of values summed for 8/1/2018 - 12/31/2018. Or if I wanted to do -2 Years, it would be a range of 8/1/2016 - 12/31/2018, with the summed "burn rate" for that time frame.

Note: The way I want to have the filter used in a way where the users pick the date value for the period in question, and in one chart they see the Selected Period's "burn rate" in one chart, then in a separate chart see the Current Year's "burn rate" in another chart. I've tried a few ways to work through this one, but with the variable of the calculation makes for DATEADD a little complex, it's not happy about using a variable, or a measure of max/min time in a preceding variable equation.

My Attempts to Resolve: I've been trying to wrap my head around a way to bake this in, but I'm having a larger issue around getting the DAX to accept a variable or giving me something about a MIN calculation not being feasible with a calculated measure. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I've documented below my different tries to no avail. 

1. I tried using the same logic, but just pushing a DATEADD for the min/max -1, -2, -3. 

Selected Period's "burn rate" = 
CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[burn rate]),USERELATIONSHIP('CALENDAR'[Date],Table1[date]))

Selected Period's "burn rate" - 1 YR =
CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[burn rate]),USERELATIONSHIP('CALENDAR'[CY-1],Table1[date]))

In this situation, 'Calendar'[CY-1] was a column generated from [Date] with the formula = DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,YEAR)

Error: USERELATIONSHIP function can only use the two columns references participating in a relationship

2. I also thought about using the calculation you had recommended for doing the "sameperiodTHISyear" filtering, but just in reverse, and incorporating the DATEADD so I could go back one year, that didn't work either.

Current Year's "burn rate" - 1 = 

var mind =CALCULATE(MIN('CALENDAR'[Date])) var maxd = CALCULATE(MAX('CALENDAR'[Date]))
var yearmin = DATEADD(mind,-1,Year) var yearmax = DATEADD(maxd,-1,Year)
return

CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[burn rate]),
FILTER(Table1,Table1[date]>=yearmin && Table1[date]<=yearmax))

Error: The first argument to 'DATEADD' must specify a column. 

Neither of these worked, I'm trying to go through and think about it may be another way, but in my use case I'm restricted by 2 things: 

1) I need to be able to do not just the current year, and current year-1, but also current year-2, -3, -4, etc. 

2) I have more than 1 Table1 type of "burn rate" value that I want to link to the CALENDAR[Date] Slicer. 

Also, where I am now is based on something that I had tried in an earlier post, "sameperiodTHISyear Time Filtering": https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/sameperiodTHISyear-Time-Filtering/m-p/578109

There's a sample PBIX in the above URL to the reply I got from a community contributor. 

Your help would be greatly appreciated, there's an upvote/marked as solution for anyone that can help me out! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I modify your formula to use date function to get corresponded previous date, you can try it if it suitable for your requirement:

VAR mind =
    MINX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'CALENDAR'[Date] ), [Date] )
VAR maxd =
    MAXX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'CALENDAR'[Date] ), [Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table1[burn rate] ),
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            Table1[date]
                >= DATE ( YEAR ( mind ) - 1, MONTH ( mind ), DAY ( mind ) )
                && Table1[date]
                    <= DATE ( YEAR ( maxd ) - 1, MONTH ( maxd ), DAY ( maxd ) )
        )
    )

In addition, if you want these formula can be dynamic change based on slicer, you can add a what-if parameter table with numeric value, then try modify above formula to use what-if parameter table selected value as unit.

VAR mind =
VAR maxd =
VAR Para =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( ParaTable[Value] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            Table1[date]
                >= DATE ( YEAR ( mind ) - Para, MONTH ( mind ), DAY ( mind ) )
                && Table1[date]
                    <= DATE ( YEAR ( maxd ) - Para, MONTH ( maxd ), DAY ( maxd ) )
        )
    )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarkPalmberg
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I'm just here to say I came across this issue because I couldn't figure out why I can't use a VAR with the DATEADD function in creating a date table, and I wanted to say this is one of the best-documented questions I've come across in a long time. Thanks for the inspiration. 

TW

Why not use EDATE()?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I modify your formula to use date function to get corresponded previous date, you can try it if it suitable for your requirement:

VAR mind =
VAR maxd =
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            Table1[date]
                >= DATE ( YEAR ( mind ) - 1, MONTH ( mind ), DAY ( mind ) )
                && Table1[date]
                    <= DATE ( YEAR ( maxd ) - 1, MONTH ( maxd ), DAY ( maxd ) )
        )
    )

In addition, if you want these formula can be dynamic change based on slicer, you can add a what-if parameter table with numeric value, then try modify above formula to use what-if parameter table selected value as unit.

VAR mind =
VAR maxd =
VAR Para =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( ParaTable[Value] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            Table1,
            Table1[date]
                >= DATE ( YEAR ( mind ) - Para, MONTH ( mind ), DAY ( mind ) )
                && Table1[date]
                    <= DATE ( YEAR ( maxd ) - Para, MONTH ( maxd ), DAY ( maxd ) )
        )
    )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-shex-msft

So I got hung up trying to do a DATEADD or some type of Function to do a full date change, but looks like I just needed to do something as simple as -1, -2, -3. 

I would say that the parameter was something that crossed my mind, but for my use case I would want to be able to reflexively do a rolling -1, -2, -3 years based on the min/max of the current date. Still, the parameterization is very cool!

I saw an interesting post in the community around leveraging parameters to define min/max date ranges in Power BI, but the biggest caveat with that is that months can have anywhere between 28-31 days so the functionality wasn't fully there, a future feature request would be to allow What-If Parameters that were Data Typed as Calendar Months/Days/Years (or dates as a whole). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-frfei-msft If you would have any thoughts around this it would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.