cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
zimmermanaric Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Values Change in Append

I am wondering if anyone has come across this before. We have 4 seperate databases that are all setup with the same table structure. I am pulling from the data for general ledger transactions from each of them as seperate queries for the past two years. When they are seperate, the summed value for all of the income statement accounts are rock solid. Each refresh shows the same answer. When I append all 4 of the queries together as a new table, each time I refresh I get a different result in the combined table for periods in the past that are closed.

Anyone have that issue before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: Values Change in Append

My apologies for the delay in response here. I was on vacation when you asked the question and the email was lost in my inbox until now. I did solve this purely by luck. It appears that if you have conflicting privacy levels (and sometimes even not) the append will give different results. I turned off the following option in my reports and things stablized:

File=> Options and Settings => Options=> Privacy

From there I chose the other radio button option "Ignore the Privacy Levels and potentially improve performance".

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Super User
Super User

Hi @zimmermanaric,

What do you mean by having different values for periods past that are closed?

How are you appending the tables and how are you calculating the result for the months that are closed?

Regards,

MFelix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Regular Visitor

Hi! I am pulling the data into Power BI via Sql. There are only a few columns:

1. period

2. year

3. amount

The where clause in the sql statement is limiting it to year 2017 and higher. Then I am using the "Append as New" function in the Advanced Editor. Once done, I create a simple matrix table showing the value as amount, column as year and row as period. Each time I refresh, I get a different answer. The only account period that we have open is Feburary 2018. Prior Month's should be the same. This is only happening with a table that is appended from the 4 other tables. If I do the same matrix with each individual table, the numbers to not change on each refresh of the data.

Super User
Super User

Hi @zimmermanaric,

Sorry for the question but Why are you making new appends with several SQL and not a single SQL for everydata?

could it be possible that you are repeating data everytime you add a new query?

Regards,

MFelix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Regular Visitor

I really appreciate your thoughts! It is 4 sql statements that are written the same way, pulling the same columns and years, but connected to 4 differnent databases.

khappersett Member

@zimmermanaric

Did you figure out why this is happening? I'm having the same issue.

I have two queries being appended into one. Each time I refresh the values from the appended table change, even though the values in the original two queries stays the same.

Regular Visitor

No I have not. I think I am going to have to open a ticket with Microsoft to help with this issue.

khappersett Member

@zimmermanaric

I actually just fixed mine. In my original queries, I added an order by clause at the end. I don't know why this fixed it, but it did!

ORDER BY [TABLE_NAME].[COLUMN_NAME] ASC

Maybe this will fix yours as well? Good luck!

Regular Visitor

I really appreciate the update. Unforuatnely, I don't have an order by clause in mine.

khappersett Member

@zimmermanaric

Couldn't you just add one to the end of your SQL query? Just order by year or period maybe?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 63 members 1,407 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: