Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KateThePhoenix
Regular Visitor

Value of Table1[Column1] multiplied by the Table2[Count of Column2]

Ok, let me break down what I'm trying to do I have two tables of data. One is a key, that designates how many products are included in that product code, i.e. People Order that code and receive that number of products

Code# of products included in code

Right, now I have another table that includes specific data for each order, including what product code they ordered.

Order numberProduct Code ordered
SS-2252211101
SS-225462444
SS-2254451105
SS-515321444
SS-2254551101
SS-2258971201

Now, on my dashboard I have a table visual that shows Count of [Order Number] per Product Code

Code# of orders for that code

What I would like is the table above to also have a column that shows how many products total are ordered (remember, some product codes include several products) so it would look something like this:

Code# of Codes ordered# of Products ordered

I tried a measure but I think I was messing up because it kept prompting for more and more layers of DAX( )))). I tried a quick measure, but it wanted me to choose Sum, Average, Count, Etc of the # of Products included column, when I really just want to multiply the [# of Codes Ordered] column in the order table by the  [# of products included in code] column from the key table to get the # of products ordered on my dashboard visual.

I'm sure there is some really easy way to to this, but I'm new and felling very dumb right now.

5 REPLIES 5
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @KateThePhoenix 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table1:

e1.png

Table2:

e2.png

Relationship:

e3.png

You may create two measures as below.

# of orders for that code = 
var tab = 
SUMMARIZE(
    Table1,
    Table1[Code],
    "# of Codes ordered",
    var _code = [Code]
    return
    CALCULATE(
        DISTINCTCOUNT(Table2[Order number]),
        FILTER(
            ALL(Table2),
            Table2[Product Code ordered]=_code
        )
    )
)
return
SUMX(
    tab,
    [# of Codes ordered]
)

# of Products ordered = 
var tab = 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Table1,
        Table1[Code],
        Table1[# of products included in code],
        "# of Codes ordered",
        var _code = [Code]
        return
        CALCULATE(
            DISTINCTCOUNT(Table2[Order number]),
            FILTER(
                ALL(Table2),
                Table2[Product Code ordered]=_code
            )
        )
    ),
    "# of Products ordered",
    [# of products included in code]*[# of Codes ordered]
)
return
SUMX(
    tab,
    [# of Products ordered]
)

Result:

e4.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Well, it's not giving me errors, so that's a start. But, when I copy and paste (changing the Table1/Table2 for the actual tables) it yields a single number over and over again. For every single product code it gives the same number, which appears to be the total for all the codes (example below). I realized I may have set this up for failure. There are other columns in Table2, such as order date and date order was completed. Could these mess this up? Do I need to add those columns as filters? Unfortunately, as I'm dealing with medical information, I can't include my actual data for help.

Code# of orders for that Code# of Products ordered

Hi @KateThePhoenix 

I have replicated the solution @v-alq-msft provided, and it works fine for me. 

Do you still have issues with this? If so, could you share the report your working with? (upload to onedrive/dropbox/other and share the link)

Cheers,
Sturla

Unfortunately, due to my report containing medical information regarding patients, I can't share it here. I'm going to try and re-work this again and see if I can get it to work.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@KateThePhoenix 

Assuming you can link the two tables together using the [Code] field this will give you the sum of products per order.

# of Product Ordered = 
SUMX ( Orders, RELATED(Codes[# of products included in code]) )

jdbuchanan71_0-1594671074379.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.