Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aqavi10
Advocate I
Advocate I

Value null to type number error with postgres database

Hi,

I have been receiving "Cannot convert value Null to type number " error for a column of my postgres database connected to Power BI. I have tried using all the solutions available in the community by "Replacing errors with null" etc.. . The column contains numbers however  an average of 'NaN' is showed when plotted on the visual board. Can't get rid of it. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Vivek,

I was able to solve the issue temporarily . I had connected the tables using the SQL code in PowerBI previously and the joined results had many errors and issues. I eventually used the 'Model' tab in PowerBI dektop app and mapped the  relationships between each table. Post linking all the tables, I sorted the values in descending order for the column "scheduleddurationmins" and removed the topn 'NaN' rows. I am now able to visualize the column and get a numeric value rather than 'NaN on my dashboard. However, I don't know if this is the best solution or a permanent one. Thanks for all the help btw.

Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

What is the column property? Also, did you attempt to use query to bring the results to Power BI instead of the table?

Rgds,
Vivek

Hi Vivek,

The particular column I'm concerned about is having 'Decimal' values and I have tried bringing in the results using joins available in powerBI and tried  another alternative where I joined them using the relationships tab. Howver, both of them don't solve my 'NaN'/Error value issue in that particular column.

Thanks 

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Is it possible to share the screenshot of the data table, including that column or the pbix file?

Hey Vivraan,

Apologies for the late reply. Please find the screenshots below. When I try plotting "scheduleddurationmins" , it shows as 'NAN'.Relationship TablesRelationship TablesTask tableTask table

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, however it is not helping much.

I wanted to understand the column property in the PowerQuery window as the issue primarily lies there. Not able to figure out anything from Power BI data view.

Following might help:
# Copy the column value in an Excel file and share
# Screenshot of Power Query window with the column property in view of this column (screenshot of the error fields may also help)
# If there are any Error table created in the Power Query, then export of that (if possible)

Rgds,
Vivek

Hi Vivek,

I was able to solve the issue temporarily . I had connected the tables using the SQL code in PowerBI previously and the joined results had many errors and issues. I eventually used the 'Model' tab in PowerBI dektop app and mapped the  relationships between each table. Post linking all the tables, I sorted the values in descending order for the column "scheduleddurationmins" and removed the topn 'NaN' rows. I am now able to visualize the column and get a numeric value rather than 'NaN on my dashboard. However, I don't know if this is the best solution or a permanent one. Thanks for all the help btw.

Cheers! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.