Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Value name changed on the back end and when filter applied data not showing up

Hey Everyone,

This is a weird issue, that I have never come across.  When a data value is changed in the backend excel and renamed the original name still shows up with data and the new name is there but data won't show up on the chart.

EX: 

Column 1Column 2
Name 156
Name 256

Name 2 was renamed to Name 2.5 in the back end of excel. Both Name 2 and Name 2.5 then show up in the dashboard but when I use a basic filter to show only 2.5 the chart goes blank with no data. I tried clearing the cache and all that and nothing still. Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi

I can’t reproduce your problem, could you share me the backend excel and pbix file to investigate the problem.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Maggie,

Thanks for the response. The client will not share the data or dashboard with me and I can only see the issue via a screen share so it's been hard to trouble shoot the issue without actually being able to play around with the data.

I've never seen this issue with any other dashboard I've made so that's why I am thinking it's a bug. 

Do you think something as simple as saving a copy of the excel sheet and then changing the source of the dashboard to point to the new sheet might work?

Hi

What happens when you try the method you said?

Maybe you can try to re-add a new visual on dashboard and add columns to the fields.

Additionally, check if data changed along with excel after refreshed in the Data View.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Maggie,

I troubleshooted and the fix seemed to be changing the data source to the copy of the original file. Now the issue is they can't seem to add conditional columns which is a seperate issue from this post. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.