Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RandomText
Helper II
Helper II

Value in PBI has wrong capitalization

Hi,

we have noticed today that capitalization is different in PBI than in SQL.

0EntJyr.pngs1jgboG.png

In SQL it's stored as "Trakai" and when it's imported into PBI it says "tRAKAI". Why and how?

There's order with remark "tRAKAI" and it's the oldest of them. And all other orders for some reasons have this now as well.

It's like if it caches or something and while value is the same PBI reuses first one value. Can it be the case?

There's more orders with that word and all of them are stored as "tRAKAI", when in SQL they are "Trakai" 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Take a look at this post: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Modeling-Uppercase-and-Lowercase-issues/idi-p/280362

@v-haibl-msft

I can't really speak as to why this is the way it is, but from what I can tell it's the same bug/feature causing your issue. 

/ J

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RandomText
Helper II
Helper II

@vanessafvg 

Didn't found how to share. So uploaded to one drive.

New report has the same problem. Just added ODBC connection, added table that I need and removed all columns except order number, remark and date.

test remark pbix 

Try to download and tell me if there's no access or something.

RandomText
Helper II
Helper II

@vanessafvg 

Too much sensitive information to feel comfortable to share. But will try to create new report with only that table and only with relevant columns, maybe problem will be there as well.

@Tahreem24it refreshes every night through gateway, but will take PBIX file and refresh through Desktop software.

@amitchandakNo. And I don't even know what transformations could do that. There's more remarks like "aco" and "ACO". All of them became "aco".

good idea, replicate it and see what happens. what you can also do is share your code from the advanced editor in power query

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sure.

let
    Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=iScala22", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
    iScalaDBS_Database = Source{[Name="iScalaDBS",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
    dbo_Schema = iScalaDBS_Database{[Name="dbo",Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
    OR01_Table = dbo_Schema{[Name="OR010200",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(OR01_Table,{"OR01001", "OR01002", "OR01003", "OR01005", "OR01015", "OR01019", "OR01091"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each ([OR01002] = 0 or [OR01002] = 4 or [OR01002] = 1 or [OR01002] = 2))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Is the capitalization inverted when you look at the record in Power Query as well? 

Connect on LinkedIn

@tex628yeah, it's already like that after adding ODBC connection and that table. Without doing anything else.

Edit:

Here's screenshot of all orders with that remark. It's the oldest one and that's why I had an idea maybe to save data import it reuses because it's kinda the same word only different capitalization.

TynhGr2.png

Edit 2: There's 5th one in pbix file with order number: 0006579805

in SQL it goes with remark "TRAKAI".

Take a look at this post: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Modeling-Uppercase-and-Lowercase-issues/idi-p/280362

@v-haibl-msft

I can't really speak as to why this is the way it is, but from what I can tell it's the same bug/feature causing your issue. 

/ J

Connect on LinkedIn
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RandomText , this is strange. Have you added any transformation on this column?

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

are you able to share your file? i personally think its highly unlikely that power bi is doing this automatically, is it possible to see what your file is doing?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@RandomText ,

It's strange.

Please try to refresh your PBIX data.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.