Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Whitney
Helper II
Helper II

Value furthest from zero

Hi,

I have data that captures the best (as a postive number e.g. 3) and worst (as a negative number e.g. -5) position for a workshop in any given fortnight.

I'm trying to write a formula to return the value in any respective fortnight that is furthest from zero i.e. the largest absolute value; if the value is negative, I need the negative value returned not the absolute value.

I'm assuming it will use the absolute function however, I can't figure out how to return the negative value if it is further from zero than the positive number.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes!!... You can use this as a measure 

Furthest = if(ABS(MAX(Hoja1[column]))>ABS(MIN(Hoja1[column]));MAX(Hoja1[column]);MIN(Hoja1[column]))

Regards!! 

View solution in original post

slanka
Helper I
Helper I

Hey there,

To achieve this, you need to write couple of calculated columns,

1) To calculate the ABS value,            

absolute = IF('Table'[Position] <0, 'Table'[Position] * -1, 'Table'[Position])

2) To calculate the max in the set along (along with it's negative sign, if it's negative),
Max =
VAR calc = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[absolute]), FILTER('Table','Table'[absolute]))
Return If(calc = 'Table'[absolute],'Table'[Position])

I've created a sample report. Please find the attached. Let me know if you need more help.
 samplesample

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
slanka
Helper I
Helper I

Hey there,

To achieve this, you need to write couple of calculated columns,

1) To calculate the ABS value,            

absolute = IF('Table'[Position] <0, 'Table'[Position] * -1, 'Table'[Position])

2) To calculate the max in the set along (along with it's negative sign, if it's negative),
Max =
VAR calc = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[absolute]), FILTER('Table','Table'[absolute]))
Return If(calc = 'Table'[absolute],'Table'[Position])

I've created a sample report. Please find the attached. Let me know if you need more help.
 samplesample

@slanka @Anonymous thank you for your help, both methods work great!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If You use min(table[columnName]) or max(table[columnName]) solve your problem??

Hi @Anonymous,

Using min() or max() neglects the other side of zero. I.e. max takes the largest positive number and min takes the largest negative number, and I am looking for the value furthest from zero which could be positive or negative. Unless there is a way to use min() and max() together in a function to return the value I'm looking for? I'm not sure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes!!... You can use this as a measure 

Furthest = if(ABS(MAX(Hoja1[column]))>ABS(MIN(Hoja1[column]));MAX(Hoja1[column]);MIN(Hoja1[column]))

Regards!! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.