Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arnault_
Resolver III
Resolver III

Value format in Chart

Hi All,

I am trying to fix an issue relating to the auto formatting feature available in Power BI visuals.

Here is below a picture to illustrate my problem. The two following charts are exactly the same, except I have changed the size of the one on the right. As you can see, the one on the left (original) badly displays the values while the second is ok.

I want to keep the "Displays units" feature as "Auto" because the user might drill down and make focus on particular regions, countries... which means I want to keep the values in the most adequate format rather than forcing it to be millions or thousands.

Now, how is it possible that the values format change because of the size of the chart? That sounds weird to me. It is not a problem of available space, because I tried to add decimals and I got something like 0.00M instead of 120k.

Do you have an idea how to fix that?

PS: I have already tried to change the format of the measure: whole number with and w/o decimals, decimals...

Thanks in advance for your help.

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yingjl  and @MartynRamsden ,

Thank you for your answers. I finally found a workaround. I am not sure it will work in all cases.

I went to the formatting option of the X-Axis (it can Y-axis depending on the chart you use - mine was an horizontal bar chart) and set the minimum value ("Start") to 0 instead of "Auto". I was thinking to change the maximum value as well but it was not necessary and the label automatically changed, delivering the expected outpout. Now it seems, I can drill down and the label changes without displaying the ugly 0.0M.

Hope this will help other users to solve the issue.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Arnault_ ,

I have tested the scenario in my environment but could not find an effective solution to meet your requirement. When you change the size of the chart, you cannot meet display units and drill down level at the same time.

Perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yingjl  and @MartynRamsden ,

Thank you for your answers. I finally found a workaround. I am not sure it will work in all cases.

I went to the formatting option of the X-Axis (it can Y-axis depending on the chart you use - mine was an horizontal bar chart) and set the minimum value ("Start") to 0 instead of "Auto". I was thinking to change the maximum value as well but it was not necessary and the label automatically changed, delivering the expected outpout. Now it seems, I can drill down and the label changes without displaying the ugly 0.0M.

Hope this will help other users to solve the issue.

Thanks

Thanks for coming back and posting your workaround!
MartynRamsden
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Arnault_ 

Unfortunately, the algorithm for automatically calculating the optimal Display Units is somewhat limited.

There's an idea here which relates to having greater control over the 'Display Units'. Be sure to vote for it if you think it would help.

In the meantime, all I can suggest is that you try to find a custom visual in the market place which provides what you're looking for.

Best regards,

Martyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.