Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamualDaxter
Frequent Visitor

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: stream

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting the following error when I open a pbix file in the August 2020 (2.84.981.0)

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: stream

Is there any way I can get round this?

Is there a fix out there for this ?

It seems to be an issue with August's release, the dashboard was working fine in the July 2020 version.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

13 REPLIES 13
rahulshevde
Employee
Employee

I apologize for the incorrect date above. This was fixed in october and should roll out in the November release of desktop. 

Till then, as a workaround, you can try doing

File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Data Load (under global) -> Folded artifacts cache options -> clear cache

This should clear and regenrate the cache. (the error occurs when trying to read the cache.)

thanks

Rahul

Thanks Rahul. That helped!

rahulshevde
Employee
Employee

This issue should be resolved in the November release. Please let me know if anyone encounters this after that. 

Till then, as a workaround, you can try doing

File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Data Load (under global) -> Folded artifacts cache options -> clear cache

This should clear and regenrate the cache. (the error occurs when trying to read the cache.)

Thanks
Rahul 

I've the October release and the problem persists.

Hey,

Yes i did add an updated comment with the workaround. 

I added incorrect date. the fix was made in october and should roll out in november release. Meanwhile you can try the workaround to unblock yourself. 

Hi,

My source is a SQL on premises direct query, so it took me a while to open the data set. but...

The workaround you suggested it's working!!!

Thanks so much!!!

I'll wait for the November update for the final fix.

I still see this issue in the October release. My version info is:
Version: 2.86.727.0 64-bit (October 2020)

Am i missing something?

Thanks

Anshuman

bspillar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same here. Since last release. On a report with a streaming connection to a SQL database. The error message pops up continuously which prevents me from being able to edit any report settings.

I've upgraded to the September release of Power BI and do have the same issue in files with direct connections to an Azure SQL db: "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: stream" 😒

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SamualDaxter 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept the helpful reply as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your data model and your problem. You can show me a screenshot about your issue.

Or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SamualDaxter You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SamualDaxter , Are you able get any info on issues?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.