Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

Value Decimal Places greyed out. Why?

Does anybody know what causes Value Decimal Places to be greyed out in the formatting options?  This is happening to me regardless of the visual type.  It's happening both for measures and aggregated fields.  It's happening regardless of the field modeling.  I simply do not have the option to change the decimal places.

VDP.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Click on Auto to get the blinking cursor and scroll your mouse wheel. Revert to default if you want auto again.

MS designs some of the worst user interfaces. So much time wasted on dealing with stuff like this - hope I can save others' time.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
wilsjohnc
Regular Visitor

thanks a lot for great help. i almost broke my head for 2 days !!!. thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's really sad that Microsoft hasn't fixed this yet (enable the up and down buttons to increment the decimal places).  Is anybody at MS aware of this?  I have to imagine it's only like 1 or 2 lines of code to fix. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder, is that supported for microsoft?

I found that formatting is avaible since december 2017, but somehow it seems to be a trouble for many people.

I am able to edit that even when connecting live to SSAS, from my concern this alright cuz its only way to format number in DATAVIZ, would not change perfommance at all.

But I did not found any microsoft documentation to guarante i will not have to rework, if some new changes  with new updates.

What you guys think, is that worth to set it by hand?

I did not understand why it always "Grayed out" and does not work with click or its just concept auto is not 0 or any number then it can go up/down from any conclusion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or click over "Auto" and submit your value and enter.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Click on Auto to get the blinking cursor and scroll your mouse wheel. Revert to default if you want auto again.

MS designs some of the worst user interfaces. So much time wasted on dealing with stuff like this - hope I can save others' time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks so much! what an insane solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonderful. Thanks for the answer. I've spent hours on it already.

@Anonymous I can't see the defalut option. Please see below..... am i missing anything????

1st.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's seem as disable but if you type a number will be enable. 

@Anonymous  There is definetly something wiered with new release of PBI. I used to have this option in earlier version. My issue occour when i am using any sort of % chart like 100% stack or Pie chart.....My dimension is of whole number......

OMG. That is so dumb (the problem, not the solution). Thank you for sharing, this would have taken me forever to figure out otherwise. Yeesh.

What's the answer?

Wonderful to find a post that is solved.  Thank you so much @Anonymous for the help.  

This is the solution!

You saved my time indeed.

@Anonymous Thank you so much!  

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Trudgeon,

Have you solved your issue by now? If you have, could you please mark my answer to finish this thread?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

This item is not resolved.  I don't see how it can be a data formatting issue.  I very recently added a new card (YTD BUDGET VM) to a report and the ability to change decimal places is uneditable.  This card is from on the same exact measure as an older card (YTD VARIABLE MARGIN) which does allow me to edit the decimal places.  It is the same measure.

The only reason I think of is perhaps a recent update from Microsoft removed this functionality.  I don't know.  I'm at a loss

New Card does not allow decimal editingNew Card does not allow decimal editing

Old Card does allow decimal editingOld Card does allow decimal editing

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Trudgeon,

This is related with your data field, could you please share some sample data? Value decimal place in data label can be selected on my side.

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

This helped me immensley! Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.