Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

VPN data load issue

I have been trying to load data from the warehouse remotely and have been unsuccessful. I spent the weekend getting my vpn connection working properly and I have tested the VPN connection by using microsoft remote desktop to access the server on prem. 

However, my question is do I have to be using a remote desktop to actually use power BI desktop to create reports and dashboards? Ideally, since I am actively connected to the VPN I could just use alternate windows credentials (the one I have set up to sign in when I am on site) and just connect to the data in the data warehouse. It seams though that when I enter the server instance and then put in my alternate credentials it will not allow me to connect. I then tried "runas" command from the command prompt and it said that my access was denied. I was able to access the data warehouse using the "runas" command for SSMS so it seams to be an issue with powerBI or the permission setup by the IT admin. 

I am at a total loss and need to start making a new dashboard for them but until I can connect via a VPN connection and get my credentials to work on my laptop that is not happening. 

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jaromgleed,

Which kind of data warehouse are you trying to connect to? If you want to connect to database like sql server, you can connect to your server with power bi desktop if only you can connect to your server with SSMS. If you are going to connect to database like SSAS,firstly your server should be in the company domain, secondly the database admin should add your domain account in the instance.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jaromgleed,

Have you resolved your issue by now? If you have, could you kindly mark one answer to finish the thread?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jaromgleed,

Which kind of data warehouse are you trying to connect to? If you want to connect to database like sql server, you can connect to your server with power bi desktop if only you can connect to your server with SSMS. If you are going to connect to database like SSAS,firstly your server should be in the company domain, secondly the database admin should add your domain account in the instance.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

edhans
Super User
Super User

You will need to work with your IT department to properly set the VPN settings to allow your access to your data warehouse. It is blocking something, or multiple somethings. But every data server can be configured in multiple ways, so your IT or DBA is the best place to start.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

So in theory it should work when I am connected with a VPN right? 

@Anonymous wrote:

So in theory it should work when I am connected with a VPN right? 

Yes. It is just a matter of making sure the right firewall ports are open on your server to allow VPN traffic through, and that your VPN is passing the correct data from your machine to the server you need. You can have half a dozen different configuration issues with SQL Server alone. SQL Server straight databases vs SSAS have different ports they use, different permissions, firewall settings, etc. It just goes up from there.

Your IT team and DBA if you have one are the best ones to assist with this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.