Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rupilas

VAR problem

Hi all,

I am a newby and tried the VAR Function. Has anyone an idea, why it doesnt work?

Thanks a lot

Martin

Sales Summary =
VAR SalesTableWithCustKey = Filter(-- Filter Table -- 'Fact Sale', -- Filter Condition --'Fact Sale'[Customer Key]>0)
VAR SalesTableGrouped = SUMMARIZE(-- Table to Summarize -- 'SalesTableWithCustKey','Fact Sale'[Customer Key],-- Aggregated Colum Name  Expression -- "Total Spend", SUM('Fact Sale'[Total Including Tax])
VAR SummaryTableFiltered = TOPN(-- Numbers of rows to return -- 10, -- Table to filter -- SalesTableGrouped, -- Order by Expression -- [Total Spend])
 RETURN SummaryTableFiltered
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Rupilas

It looks like you're commenting everything out. When you use an comment operator everything after the operator becomes a comment. Try using /*  to open and  */ to close the comment instead.

Sales Summary =
VAR SalesTableWithCustKey = Filter(/* Filter Table */ 'Fact Sale', /* Filter Condition */ 'Fact Sale'[Customer Key]>0)
VAR SalesTableGrouped = SUMMARIZE(/* Table to Summarize  */ 'SalesTableWithCustKey','Fact Sale'[Customer Key],/* Aggregated Colum Name  Expression */ "Total Spend", SUM('Fact Sale'[Total Including Tax])
VAR SummaryTableFiltered = TOPN(/* Numbers of rows to return */ 10, /* Table to filter */ SalesTableGrouped, /* Order by Expression */ [Total Spend])

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Rupilas

It looks like you're commenting everything out. When you use an comment operator everything after the operator becomes a comment. Try using /*  to open and  */ to close the comment instead.

Sales Summary =
VAR SalesTableWithCustKey = Filter(/* Filter Table */ 'Fact Sale', /* Filter Condition */ 'Fact Sale'[Customer Key]>0)
VAR SalesTableGrouped = SUMMARIZE(/* Table to Summarize  */ 'SalesTableWithCustKey','Fact Sale'[Customer Key],/* Aggregated Colum Name  Expression */ "Total Spend", SUM('Fact Sale'[Total Including Tax])
VAR SummaryTableFiltered = TOPN(/* Numbers of rows to return */ 10, /* Table to filter */ SalesTableGrouped, /* Order by Expression */ [Total Spend])

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Hi Watsky,

many thanks for the quick answer

Somehow it still doesnt work.

Now I tried to do it without comments when I start to write VAR3 then it is red underlined and doesnt work.

Could you have another look?

Sales Summary =
VAR VAR1 = Filter('Fact Sale', 'Fact Sale'[Customer Key]>0)
VAR VAR2 = SUMMARIZE(VAR1, 'Fact Sale'[Customer Key], "Total Spend", SUM('Fact Sale'[Total Including Tax])
VAR VAR3 = TOPN(10, VAR2, [Total Spend])
RETURN VAR3

Now I solved it It was one bracket too much, Many thanks to you!!!!

@Rupilas 

Happy to Help! Glad you're good to go now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.