Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Andrewstg
Regular Visitor

Using time slicer for 2 dates

So I have a time slice going off of registration end date, it gets all of the enrolled, dropped, graduated students for this date. The problem is there are students who also start in this time frame that I want to list as new starts. I am new to power bit but other programming languages I would write an if statement or something along those lines. The problem is the slicer does quarters, years, months I am really unsure of how to approach this.

Here is a link to the layout https://imgur.com/a/JeBjx

How I have enrolled etc I would like to add new starts that fall within this date, even if i do it how i do hours and total students.

Here is an example, the timeslicer uses reg end date.

Name         Student ID      StartDate                 EndDate
                   Billy  Bob          3252          1-11-2014               3-5-2016
                   Jay   Wright       4363          2-23-2016              7-15-2019
                   Donny   Dob      2525          1-1-2015                4-3-2017
                   Ringer Rod        4674           1-2-2013               4-2-2015

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

When you have 2 date columns, the complexity goes up. One option is to have 2 slicers, one for start date and the other for end date (just use a drop down list for both). You need to write a dax measure to manage the filtering on both columns. Something like this would work. 

Total hours = calculate([total hours],filter(table, table[start date] >=selectedvalue(table[start date]) && table[end date] <=selectedvalue(table[end date])))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

When you have 2 date columns, the complexity goes up. One option is to have 2 slicers, one for start date and the other for end date (just use a drop down list for both). You need to write a dax measure to manage the filtering on both columns. Something like this would work. 

Total hours = calculate([total hours],filter(table, table[start date] >=selectedvalue(table[start date]) && table[end date] <=selectedvalue(table[end date])))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.