Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the search loop into a slicer

Hello,

I am working for a bilingual company, so our employee name are either French or English.  When we make a seach in a table using the search tool of a slicer, how do we deal with name containing an accent.

for example, an anglophone will look for Frederic while a Francophone will look for Frédéric.

In our tables, I believe that the name are written with a correct orthograph i.e. we could have Frederic Remington or Frédéric Chopin.  Both of these persons are well knowed.  However if we make a search into the employee name slicer, someone could type Fre and find Frederic Remington and never Frédéric Chopin.  The opposite will give the same issue.

Is there a way to use a seach tool none caracter sensitive, i.e. to find both names?

Thanks in advance for your help

alepage

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

As of now, this is not achievable within a slicer.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I notice from your last message that this option is not available at the moment in Power BI.

However,  as I am importing my data from a SQL server Data base, I have found on the web the script below and I though I could share that info with the community.

Select

FirstName collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1253_CI_AI as NonAccentFirstName
,               LastName  collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1253_CI_AI as NonAccentLastName

from server.databased.tablename

When you select get data from a sql server data base, a window pop-up with the following options:

server:  put your server name

database: put your database name

advanced option: put the above mentioned script and click ok

In your PBIX project add a column ex: CorrectedFullName = NonAccentFirstName & "  " & NonAccentLastName

Then in the slicer, we can use the field CorrectedFullName, rename it for ex: Employee Name

Thereafter, it is possible to make a Employee Name seach using the loop in the slicer and all the available name appears.  It is then possible to conserv either in the table and in the matrix, Employee Name (firstName & " " & LastName) in the original form i.e with accent.

Obviously, I don't know if it is possible to use this approach when the data are imported from an Excel spreadsheet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.