Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gavin_Shales
Frequent Visitor

Using the latest value when a field is blank.

Good day All,

I am look for some help.

I have a table which currently has some missing values and I am trying to populate these missing values with the most recent value at that point in time. For example;

Date                       Value

04/10/2017            1641

05/10/2017            1698

06/10/2017            1742

07/10/2017

08/10/2017

09/10/2017             1660

10/10/2017              1509

11/10/2017              1517

12/10/2017              1645

13/10/2017              1655

14/10/2017

15/10/2017

The 7th and 8th was a Saturday and Sunday, so there was no input on that day. What I need populated is 1742 for both the 7th and 8th. The same for the 14th & 15th but populated with 1655.

Please can somebody help me with this? Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

ValueLast = LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[Value],Table1[Date],CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK(Table1[Date], 1), FILTER(Table1,Table1[Value]>0 && EARLIER(Table1[Date])>=Table1[Date])))

If you have a Date-table the above formular could be simplified... but it should work.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ForcaTaico
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello,

In the query editor you can sort by Date and then right click on the Value column then choose "Fill" --> "Down".

Regards Taico

Hi Taico,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I can do this because I am using 2 data sources in my table.

DataSource (DS) A contains a list of running dates and DS B contains just data for the days the data has been inputted. Therefore, I can't use query editor as the Data from DS isn't in the same table as the list of the Running dates.

That is why I was hoping for a DAX solution. Admittedly my PowerBI knowledge and experience is pretty low so don't feel like I am telling you your solution won't work.

Can I create a new column in DS A to bring in the values from DS B, via the Query Editor?

Thanks

Hi

ValueLast = LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[Value],Table1[Date],CALCULATE(LASTNONBLANK(Table1[Date], 1), FILTER(Table1,Table1[Value]>0 && EARLIER(Table1[Date])>=Table1[Date])))

If you have a Date-table the above formular could be simplified... but it should work.

How would this be simplified with a seperate date table?

Capture.PNG

Hi Taico,

Hopefully you can see my Pic which i have added.

Basically, it's not liking the "Earlier" part of the code. It says, "Earlier/Earliest referes to an earlier row or context which doesn't exist"

Should I be using this code in a "New Measure"?

Thanks

The formular was intented for an calculated column not a measure.

Thank you very much, Taico. It's working very nicely.

Regards

Gavin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.