Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nanakwame
Helper II
Helper II

Using sumx to sum same categories listed in rows within a table

Hi Experts,

I have a table with different departments  listed as rows and a value for each. I am trying to have dax sum all values by department. I understand sumx can help achieve this result. Any idea how i can use sumx to sum the different departmants?

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nanakwame ,

Try measure like:

measure = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[departments  ]),[total])

If the problem still exists, please provide sample data and expected results so that we can better understand your scenario.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Nanakwame , If you want to have a department in visual, then even a simple sum would do.

Unless you have to do some row level operation, you can avoid using SumX function

refer

https://radacad.com/sum-vs-sumx-what-is-the-difference-of-the-two-dax-functions-in-power-bi

HI @amitchandak 

I am trying to do a row level calculation to sum each department sales and use it in another calculation. so i am experting to row level calc to summarize the table and sum all departemnts belonging to each other 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.