Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nanakwame
Helper I
Helper I

Using sumx to sum same categories listed in rows within a table

Hi Experts,

I have a table with different departments  listed as rows and a value for each. I am trying to have dax sum all values by department. I understand sumx can help achieve this result. Any idea how i can use sumx to sum the different departmants?

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nanakwame ,

Try measure like:

measure = SUMX(VALUES('Table'[departments  ]),[total])

If the problem still exists, please provide sample data and expected results so that we can better understand your scenario.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Nanakwame , If you want to have a department in visual, then even a simple sum would do.

Unless you have to do some row level operation, you can avoid using SumX function

refer

https://radacad.com/sum-vs-sumx-what-is-the-difference-of-the-two-dax-functions-in-power-bi

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! Connect on Linkedin
Want To Learn Power BI
Learn Power BI Beginners !! Advance Power BI Concepts !! Power BI For Tableau User !! Learn Power BI in Hindi !!
Proud to be a Super User!

HI @amitchandak 

I am trying to do a row level calculation to sum each department sales and use it in another calculation. so i am experting to row level calc to summarize the table and sum all departemnts belonging to each other 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

Jan 2022 Dev Camp 768x460 copy.png

Power BI Dev Camp- January 27th, 2022

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors