Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ohad
Frequent Visitor

Using slicer to choose which dimension to display

Hi,

I used the following article on http://breaking-bi.blogspot.ca/2016/06/power-bipowerpivot-using-slicers-to.html to create a slicer that gives the user the option to choose which measure to display in the chart and now I am wondering if it’s possible to do the same thing with the dimensions instead of the measures so the user will be able to choose the dimension dynamically using additional slicer? If so, how?

Regards,

Ohad

6 REPLIES 6
Ohad
Frequent Visitor

@tjd

All the dimensions are the same type (text) and all the measures are the same type (numbers).

Hi @Ohad,

As I tested, we are unable to achieve it in Power Bi desktop as the @tjd posted. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft

Thank you Angelina.

Ohad
Frequent Visitor

@Phil_Seamark

Hi,

I have a table with the following columns:

1. Store_Name
  2. Category_Group_Name
  3. Subcategory_Name
  4. Item_Name
  5. Item_Quantity
  6. Gross_Amount
  7. Discount_Amount
  8. Net_Sales_Amount

Instead of creating a separate chart for Item_Quantity and another one for Net_Sales_Amount (for example) I managed to create a slicer (using the link above) that will give the user the option to choose the measure (Y axis) using a slicer from the following columns:

1. Item_Quantity
  2. Gross_Amount
  3. Discount_Amount
  4. Net_Sales_Amount

This is the formula that I am using so far for the measure:

Selected_Measure = IF(HASONEVALUE(Data_Measures[Measure]),SWITCH(FIRSTNONBLANK(Data_Measures[Measure],Data_Measures[Measure]),"Item_Quantity",SUM(Data[Item_Quantity]),"Gross_Amount",SUM(Data[Gross_Amount]),"Discount_Amount",SUM(Data[Discount_Amount]),"Net_Sales_Amount",SUM(Data[Net_Sales_Amount])))

Now I am looking to do the same for the dimension (X axis) and save the need of creating separate chart for Store_Name and another one for Category_Group_Name (for example), I would like to create an additional slicer that will give the user the option to choose from the following columns:

1. Store_Name
  2. Category_Group_Name
  3. Subcategory_Name
  4. Item_Name

Hope that it’s clear now.

Thanks,

Ohad

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I had previously asked that same question on the forum and was told that right now, you can only do this with measures, not categorical dimensions.  They suggested that I create a psuedo-hierarchy and use drill down to see the various categories on the x-axis.  It worked out fairly nicely and did the trick but would have liked the ability to use a slicer.  As an aside, the measures that you use in your example have to be all the same data type/format.  You cannot mix types of number, date, text, etc.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @Ohad,

Do you have an example of what you mean?  

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.