Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mfaber
Frequent Visitor

Using slicer for two sheets or calculating change for waterfall chart on one page

Hey,

so, I'm trying to make a waterfall chart for my table, but the problem is, I can't just make the changes column simply, because I have different categories and I want to see the changes for the same category, between months. (so for example, if in january I had 3 apples, 4 pears, in feb 4 apples, 6 pears, etc, then what I'd like to see is +1 for apples and +2 for pears for febr change. I'm using a slicer to choose category).

If I can make it a bit harder, I have many rows for one category and month, like in the pic below (example):

power_bi_waterfall.png

I tried a bit different approach myself, I made a table on another sheet where I used sumifs to calculate the sums, then with a simple formula I got my changes column. (pic below)

power_bi_waterfall_own.png

The waterfall chart could work with that nicely, but the problem is that, my slicer (which uses a column from another sheet) doesn't affect this one. Is there a way to filter data from two different sheets on one Power BI page?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You really need a calendar table with an ID column (integer that continuously advances by 1 for every month). WIth  this set up, you can create a lifetime to date calculation and subtract the lifetime to date from the previous lifetime to date for the prior month. Read my blog about calendar tables,http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

then write a formula something like this. 

LTD = calculate (sum(data[value]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[ID] <= max(calendar[ID]))

chg vs last month = [LTD] - calculate (sum(data[value]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[ID] <= max(calendar[ID])-1)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You really need a calendar table with an ID column (integer that continuously advances by 1 for every month). WIth  this set up, you can create a lifetime to date calculation and subtract the lifetime to date from the previous lifetime to date for the prior month. Read my blog about calendar tables,http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

then write a formula something like this. 

LTD = calculate (sum(data[value]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[ID] <= max(calendar[ID]))

chg vs last month = [LTD] - calculate (sum(data[value]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[ID] <= max(calendar[ID])-1)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

The day I posted this was the day I started using Power BI for the first time, so I needed some time to understand what you said, but I did it and it works, thank you!

(The pictures were just very dumbed-down examples, I'm using YYYYMM to identify the months, not this jan, feb, etc, of course. 🙂 )

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mfaber,

You may also want to think about what happens if you go from Dec to Jan and the year changes - using a calendar table will help deal with month-to-month calculations there.

And do you have (or can you use) daily granularity dates for each row rather than 'jan', 'feb' etc.?

@MattAllington has recommend a (monthly?) calendar table to solve the problem as specified.  IFF (and it may be a big one), the Data table was able to use daily rather than montlhy granularity, it might simplify the solution:

• Link to the Calendar table on the Date, rather than have to add a Month ID key (inc. year) to Data table
  • Power BI should even create the table relationship automatically if the Date column name and type are the same
  • Simpler looking measures using Time Intelligence functions (not for Direct Query though...?):
Total = SUM(Data[#])
Previous Month Total = CALCULATE([Total], PREVIOUSMONTH(Data[Date]))
Monthly Change = [Total] - [Previous Month Total] 

You could then use the Year and Month from the Data table's Date hierarchy as the Waterfall chart category, and Monthly Change as the Y Axis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.