Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Using selected value of what if parameter in a Calculated column

I am trying to get a number input from the end user using the What if Paramater.

I would then like to use that number in a calculated column and show the calculated column as a category on a column chart. The calculated column just shows default what if paramter value, it does pick the selected value. See examples below:

Paramter table:
Parameter = GENERATESERIES(3, 60, 1)
Parameter Value = SELECTEDVALUE('Parameter'[Parameter], 12)

Calculated Column Formula: 

Expiration Status = IF(Table[ExpirationDate]=BLANK(),"NA",IF(DATEDIFF(TODAY(),Table[ExpirationDate],DAY)<0,"Expired",IF(DATEDIFF(TODAY(),Table[ExpirationDate],DAY)<'Parameter'[Parameter Value],"Expiring in <"&'Parameter'[Parameter Value] &" days",IF(DATEDIFF(TODAY(),Table[ExpirationDate],DAY)<60,"Expiring in <60 days","Expiring in >=60 days"))))

Current output:
image.png

Expected Output:
The second blue column should have been "Expiring in <42 days"  (not "Expiring in 12 days") and also the $ value should have been recalculated accordingly.

If this method is not the right way to do it, would appreciate if you can provide an alternative approach to achieve this. Ideally I would also want to have a 2nd parameter for the "60" value (3rd & 4th category/columns).

Also are there any limitations in doing this on the Power BI report server?

7 REPLIES 7
A_Murray

Also getting the same issue. I want to have a calculated column with an number (a) times a variable (y) (between 100% & 150% in increments of 5%) which is created via parameter. The column will not recalculate. To make it a measure how could I use the raw table data without average(a)or sum(a)? my formaula has ifs such that 

if(or(isblank("a), "a" = 0), 0, if( "a" > "b" * ("y" - the value from the parameter), 1, 0))

for "y" i have tried replacing it with selectedvalue(parameter[parameter]) both directly and by creating another column.

I guess the question is how do I get "a" into a measure? max("a") doen't work. is there another keyword?

MonsieurLL
Regular Visitor

Similar issue here:

1. I want the user to be able to select a date. I used a measure with SELECTEDVALUE to get this date.
    FXDate = SELECTEDVALUE(FX[Date])
  2. The date is associated with a number (FX rate). I created another measure with CALCULATE and FILTER to get the associated
    FXRate = CALCULATE(MAX(FX[USD/CAD]), FILTER(FX, FX[Date] = FX[FXDate]) )
  3. I have another table with numbers. I created a column in this table which multiplies each "Amount USD" by the FXRate measure.
    ValueTodayCAD = Transactions[Amount USD] * FX[FXRate]
  4.  When the user selects a different date, the measures all update correctly, but the new column does not recalculate using the new measure value for FXRate.

MonsieurLL_1-1666036192776.png

I found the answer: a calculated column will NOT update dynamically. Instead, we must use a measure.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @cyclist007 ,

Your issue is caused by that you created the calculated column with parameter value which is not dynamic. If you create the measure with parameter, it will work fine. 

However, we can't use measures as an axis at the moment, just columns are supported for the use on axis. 

So, I don't think that we could achieve your desired X axis in Power BI Currently.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-piga-msft for responding. 'Paramater Value' is a measure (or else what is it?) And I was using the Measure in a Calculated column - now I understand the calculated column would not get recalculate on change in measure/paramter value but was hoping at least clicking on refresh data would help? Is there anyway the calculated column can be forced to recalculate (by the end user)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. I can not create measure and it has to be a calculated column. Is there a way of having the value I decide in one of the columns so that I can use it in the calculated column?

Or createing measure is only the way?

Thanks

Nagaraj

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Anyone with any thoughts/answers?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.