Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StuartAtEmh
Frequent Visitor

Using power bi report templates featuring conditional formatting but with different data source

Hi, I have created a template report that includes visualisations and uses conditional formatting. Its data source is a tab in excel.

The tab in excel uses tables for the data.

I want to create new reports using this template, but with different data sets. The data source is the same excel file, but a different tab. Each tab in excel will have the same table structure, but different data.

Is it possible to import a report template, change the data source, but keep all of the visualisations and conditional formatting?

I'm fairly new to power bi but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-janeyg-msft,

Thanks for this, I actually found a video on youtube which does something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AG1gIMRADo

"How to Switch Power BI Table to a Different Data Source Type". All helpful though, thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @StuartAtEmh 

Yes, you can. According to your description, I think you can use parameter to parametric data source.

vjaneygmsft_2-1635406934365.png

Like this:

One.new parameter

vjaneygmsft_4-1635407232206.png

Two. setting parameter

vjaneygmsft_3-1635407229237.png

Three.modify the data cource code in Advanced Editor

vjaneygmsft_6-1635407452944.png

Then you can switch the data of different tabs at will without affecting the visual, and then select to save as new file.

Reference:Parameterize your data source! – Data – Marc (data-marc.com)

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Hi @v-janeyg-msft,

Thanks for this, I actually found a video on youtube which does something similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AG1gIMRADo

"How to Switch Power BI Table to a Different Data Source Type". All helpful though, thanks.

Hello @StuartAtEmh 

For the specific needs you describe, I don't think your mark's answer is better than the one I provided.
Certainly, as long as you are happy!

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.