Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DreDre
Helper II
Helper II

Using one PBIX file as a dataset and updating slicers based on the first file

I don't think this is possible, but it does not hurt to ask. 

There is a main PBIX file that we are using on our enterprise space. I was able to connect a new PBIX file to that as a PowerBi Dataset, but I am trying to figure out how to map these two together so that when you "reset to default" the default has the same selections as the promary PBIX file. 

The promary PBIX is a import, with the majority of the data living in one query, one of the columns of this query is "Source" I want my secondary PBIX file to update to show the same source as the primary when you "reset to default". Is this a thing?

I am still working through figuring this out, but any guidence would be greatly appareciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No, it is not a thing. You are connecting to a dataset, not to a report. Your connection has no idea what the defaults are in that primary report. You need to recreate them yourself.

Same is true for "Analyze in Excel" .  It connects to the dataset, not the report, and you need to (one time) recreate the report in Excel the way you need it, with the appropriate filters applied.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @DreDre 

Its not possible.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

No, it is not a thing. You are connecting to a dataset, not to a report. Your connection has no idea what the defaults are in that primary report. You need to recreate them yourself.

Same is true for "Analyze in Excel" .  It connects to the dataset, not the report, and you need to (one time) recreate the report in Excel the way you need it, with the appropriate filters applied.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.