Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelHalling
Frequent Visitor

Using nested list to filter nested table

In my main table [FilterListZC] I have a column [FilterZC] which contains nested lists, and a column [Selected] of nested tables. Each nested table in [Selected] contains a column [TenorCode] I would like to filter with the values in the corresponding list in [FilterZC].

I have tried various solutions but none work. Here is an example of one that does not work:
= Table.AddColumn(FilterListZC, "FilteredZC", each Table.SelectRows([Selected], each List.Contains( (r)=> [FilterZC], [TenorCode])))

nested.PNG

Is this possible? What do I need to change? 

Thanks a million for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MichaelHalling ,

you can try the following, otherwise please provide sample data:

Table.AddColumn(FilterListZC, "FilteredZC", each Table.SelectRows([Selected], (r) => List.Contains( FilterZC], r[TenorCode])))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MichaelHalling ,

The best person to help you with this is @ImkeF the best M language user in the community.

@ImkeF  can you please check this question.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MichaelHalling ,

you can try the following, otherwise please provide sample data:

Table.AddColumn(FilterListZC, "FilteredZC", each Table.SelectRows([Selected], (r) => List.Contains( FilterZC], r[TenorCode])))

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeFYou are amazing! That worked! Don't really know what r[TenorCode] does but it solved my problem. Also gotten a few helpful tips from your blog before this so a big THANK YOU for all your work. @MFelix Thanks for caring 🙂

PS. You missed a '[ ' in [FilterZC] so for anyone reading this, this is the exact code that solved my problem. 

Table.AddColumn(FilterListZC, "FilteredZC", each Table.SelectRows([Selected], (r) => List.Contains( [FilterZC], r[TenorCode])))

Hi @MichaelHalling ,

very pleased to hear 🙂

And thanks for the correct code, I did mine on top of my head.

With regards to r[Tenor]: There is a bit of syntax sugar in the M-language that obfuscates what's really going on:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/understanding-power-query-m-functions

https://ssbi-blog.de/blog/technical-topics-english/the-environment-concept-in-m-for-power-query-and-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.