Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SJ25
Resolver I
Resolver I

Using multiple value filters in Calculate

Hello All,

I'm trying to calculate total hours for only certain part numbers. I'm trying to filter them using calculate as below:

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] = 1111 && 11111)

I'm getting the desired result if I filter for just 1 part number but if I enter 2 or more, the result is blank.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You are using "and" but you should be using "or". Any given product can't be part number 1111 and also be part number 11111

Here are two options

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] = 1111 || 11111)

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] in {1111,11111})

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

The correct syntax is:

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] = 1111 || New[Part Numbers] = 11111)

But CALCULATE has a limit on how many boolean filters you can do. You should consider using filter. Much more flexible, and this is what DAX is doing in the background anyway.

Reqhrs =
CALCULATE (
    [Total Hours],
    FILTER (
        New,
        New[Part Numbers] = 1111
            || New[Part Numbers] = 11111
    )
)

FILTER will let you filter fields from multiple tables. You cannot do that in CALCULATE without FILTER(). DAX isn't smart enough to translate your boolean logic to include multiple tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You are using "and" but you should be using "or". Any given product can't be part number 1111 and also be part number 11111

Here are two options

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] = 1111 || 11111)

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] in {1111,11111})

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington Thanks for your reply. Using the two options you mentioned above is giving me two different results. The first option is giving me the total for all part numbers, the second one seems to be accurate. Upon looking more, is it possible that to use the first option I'll have to repeat the table name after every OR ( || ) sign?

The correct syntax is:

Reqhrs = Calculate ([Total Hours], New[Part Numbers] = 1111 || New[Part Numbers] = 11111)

But CALCULATE has a limit on how many boolean filters you can do. You should consider using filter. Much more flexible, and this is what DAX is doing in the background anyway.

Reqhrs =
CALCULATE (
    [Total Hours],
    FILTER (
        New,
        New[Part Numbers] = 1111
            || New[Part Numbers] = 11111
    )
)

FILTER will let you filter fields from multiple tables. You cannot do that in CALCULATE without FILTER(). DAX isn't smart enough to translate your boolean logic to include multiple tables.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.