Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using images/Icons in Power BI report

Hi there, am working on a report that will show how many doctors are available in a given location.

However, instead of creating measures and displaying figures on map, I want to show icons.

One idea that comes to mind is having multiple icons on the map and conditionally show/hide them.

Question 1; Is there a way to conditionally hide/show icons in Power BI without using buttons/bookmarks

Quesiton 2: Has anyone done anything similar? Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Below is an example of how my end product will be. For instance, if there are 3 available doctors in East Leeds, then 3 icons will show. 

Capture.PNG 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Matt ALlington has written a blog post that will come pretty close to what you need to do - I think that the image of the doctor will be what needs to be "transparant" and then moves forward based on the slicer(s).

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/show-or-hide-a-power-bi-visual-based-on-selection/

I would appreciate Kudos 👍 if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would mark this as a solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi aahays88,

My initial thought is that you have the image of the doctors (based on lat/long or address or whatever) appear based on a filter or slicer.  That is what I have done in the past.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, am not using real map hence no addresses or lat/lon. Am using a jpeg image for the map. 

Ah, ok, so I am assuming that the map is a static background and then the number of images is based on a number - where if there are 3 doctors in that area then that many icons will appear in that region of the map.  If there are 5 icons then 5 images appear.  Because you are dealing with static items (icons and the map) my thought is that you make a bunch of the icons and place them appropriately on the map and then set them to hide/show based on the filter/slicer that you are using.  So, if the table shows that you have 4 available in Leeds, then 4 icons appear (but numbers 5-9 do not).  This will be a bit of work to make each one work with the filter.  IT would have to be something like - if the number is 1 display doctor image 1, if the number is 2, display images 1 and 2,etc. - by area.

OR, you make an icon with the image and the number in it (this would be cleaner).  That way you wouldn't have much clutter and you could build more icons - an image with a "1" or "2" or "26" on it.  That would make the filter cleaner - if there is 3 available doctors, then show the image of the doctor with a "3".  Thoughts?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It makes a lot of sense, the requirement will support the first solution you suggested. Creating bunch of icons and placing them appropriately then showing/hiding based on the numbers in the table.

Now to the big question, do you have any sample DAX/tricks/methods to hide/show these images based on the numbers? I can only do hide/show by using bookmarks.

Thanks a lot for your help

Matt ALlington has written a blog post that will come pretty close to what you need to do - I think that the image of the doctor will be what needs to be "transparant" and then moves forward based on the slicer(s).

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/show-or-hide-a-power-bi-visual-based-on-selection/

I would appreciate Kudos 👍 if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would mark this as a solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.