Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cwilliams2109
Frequent Visitor

Using excel data source across one drive

Hi

Our company utilises one drive. I have produced a power bi report that I want various staff to be able to use, refresh etc...

The data source is simply an excel file on the one drive.. However the path (company name replaced for this post) for the data source is below

C:\Users\christopher.williams\COMPANYNAME\Finance - Contract Support\CST\Power BI\BI Reports

If another user tries to access the file (they have permissions directly on the site to the file) the Power BI wont refresh as it says path not found etc.. as it has my name in it... They can repoint the data source to the file and it works, but then it wont work for me as the path has their name in it..

I am not used to working across sharepoint/power bi... but wonder if anyone can help with the path issue..

Thanks

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cwilliams2109
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Thanks for all the help on this.. I have found another method of using web.contents and the URL path to the excel file. This seems to have worked.

Thanks

Chris

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cwilliams2109
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Thanks for all the help on this.. I have found another method of using web.contents and the URL path to the excel file. This seems to have worked.

Thanks

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cwilliams2109  you can publish your .pbix to workspace where in your team mates can access the same and also it will act as a centralised report. workspace owners can edit the dashboard and also schedule refresh at the same time.

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!👍

Regards,

Husna

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@cwilliams2109 

I hope you are able to connect to the data from one drive and are able to publish it to powerbi services. In powerbi services, you can also schedule refresh from your one drive data. This way data will get refreshed automatically using your credentials. 

refer to below links and write back if still need help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive#:~:text=Power%2....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-desktop-file-onedrive

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@cwilliams2109 

In the power Query Editor as shown in picture, let the users change the user name 

C:\Users\christopher.williams\COMPANYNAME\Finance - Contract Support\CST\Power BI\BI Reports to the user name. Then they will be ablve to access the data .  The path is dependant upon user profile

'

VijayP_0-1613145893020.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@cwilliams2109 

Try using Dataset from Power BI Service. That Dataset is already connected to one Source of Truth so the described problem will not come

VijayP_0-1613144478550.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.