Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shelbsassy
Resolver I
Resolver I

Using different data sources to drive a date slicer

I have looked all over and haven't found anything to help me with this.

What I am trying to do is create a slicer to drive the dashboard based on the claims date.

I have one table with the service date of the claims (1/1-1/31)

I have another table with the premium for each month (1/1, 2/1)

I have another table for month which is the first date of each month in the year.

I keep getting an error trying to create a relationship between the tables in any direction saying I can't create the relationship because the values in one of the columns has to be unique.  I don't understand, the Month table which has 1/1/2017 2/1/2017 and month nums of 1 and 2 are unique.  I created a column in each of the other tables for the month num to try and create a relationship that way but I am stil getting the relationship error.  Why can't I create a relationship between these tables?  Basically I want to have the dashboard be dynamic across months so I was trying to roll the claims for the month of January to 1/1 or month num 1 but that's not working.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  Each month has a premium that changes and the premium is in the Members table assigned with 1/1/2017, 2/1/2017, etc.

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is the article. http://exceleratorbi.com.au/relationships-power-bi-power-pivot/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I just wrote a blog article that will help you but it won't be released until 14 Feb. If you send me a PM I will send you an early release copy. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Here is the article. http://exceleratorbi.com.au/relationships-power-bi-power-pivot/

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shelbsassy,

I'd like to suggest you create a CALENDAR table and create the relationships between CALENDAR and each tables which you mentioned.
Add a calculated column to calendar table to store the month number, then you can use the month number to filter all of the tables which contains the relationship

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors