cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betterdays Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Using date slicer with parallel period

I would like to achieve the following:

1. Use a report slicer filter on a month year combination (January 16, February 16, ...)
  2. Show both the Amount for current date filter (month + year) and the Amount for the previous month and the Amount for the same month previous year

I currently use a slicer (date format) with bins per month.

Next to that I have the following Amounts (as a Card):

• Amount: CALCULATE(SUM('personalfinance banktransactions'[AMOUNT]),FILTER(ALL('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]),'personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]<=MAX('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE])))
  • Amount Previous Month = calculate(SUM('personalfinance banktransactions'[AMOUNT]), PARALLELPERIOD('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE].[Date],-1,MONTH),FILTER(ALL('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]),'personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]<=MAX('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]) && YEAR ( 'personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE] ) < MAX ( 'personalfinance banktransactions'[CalendarYear] )))
  • Amount Previous Year = calculate(SUM('personalfinance banktransactions'[AMOUNT]), PARALLELPERIOD('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE].[Date],-12,MONTH),FILTER(ALL('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]),'personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]<=MAX('personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE]) && YEAR ( 'personalfinance banktransactions'[DATE] ) < MAX ( 'personalfinance banktransactions'[CalendarYear] )))

Problem: When I filter on the date (month + year), I do not get results for the Amount previous Month & Amount Previous Year values. How can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Using date slicer with parallel period

@betterdays,

You may refer to the .pbix attached.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@betterdays,

You may refer to the .pbix attached.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AfriKan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This is great for learning how to use dates for comparisons in DAX.  Thanks

Highlighted
SivaMani Senior Member

@v-chuncz-msft,

I tried PARALLELPERIOD function. it returns blank. Kindly assist me.

FYI - I'm using BigQuery tables and it is DirectQuery.