Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adidriksen
Regular Visitor

Using coordinates for a shape map

Can I use latitude and longitude coordinates to place observations on a shape map? I want Power BI to, for instance, be able to count the number of houses (in the data set) located in the Zentrum district of Cologne (there should be exactly one) and display this on the map.

Desired result 

Sample data 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @adidriksen ,

Thanks for your reply. I doubt if "shape map" visual has such a function. As far as I know, "shape map" does not have the function of setting longitude and latitude. 

Best Regards,

Yuna

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ELW
Advocate II
Advocate II

It's been almost three years, is there still no solution to a map visual with both shapes and points?  

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adidriksen ,

Thanks for sharing your files.

Based on your description, do you mean the "filled map" visual?  Where is "Zentrum" in your sample data?

Is the following result what you want? Sorry I'm a little confused.

v-yuaj-msft_0-1610529540075.png

Best Regards,

Yuna

Hi Yuna.

I meant the shape map (it's a preview feature.) An example of how the shape map looks, and where Zentrum region is located, is here:

Zentrum.png

I got that from using the .json as a custom map in the shape map visual. Now I want to count (for example) how many rows are located in the Zentrum region using the coordinates, like this (visual made with a different software):

desired result.png

Bonus points if the sections of the map that do not have any observations could be cut away like in the example above!

Hi, @adidriksen ,

Thanks for your reply. I doubt if "shape map" visual has such a function. As far as I know, "shape map" does not have the function of setting longitude and latitude. 

Best Regards,

Yuna

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adidriksen ,

Sorry for that I cannot download the sample data from your posted link. Please save your files in OneDrive or any other cloud sharing platforms and share the link here. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Yuna

Hello Yuna, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had overlooked one of the privacy settings. The link should work now!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@adidriksen , You an option for latitude and longitude filled MAP. I doubt that is there for shape MAP.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.