cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jschubert Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Using calculated tables to combine two unrelated columns from two different tables

Hi All,

First time posting here. I am looking for some help with the following issue if it is possible.

I am hoping to merge two columns from two unrelated tables so that there would be 1 row for each combination of records, essentially repeating column 1 for each distinct record from column 2. I have attempted many different DAX functions but always run into errors, usually "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

Here is an example of what I am trying to acheive.

Power BI example.jpg

Thanks a lot!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Using calculated tables to combine two unrelated columns from two different tables

@jschubert go to model tab and click "new table" and enter following expression:

Table Combine = CROSSJOIN ( Table1, Table2 )

Table combine will have expected result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut! Connect with me on Linkedin

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Using calculated tables to combine two unrelated columns from two different tables

Hi @jschubert 

You may also use GENERATE Function.

Table 3 = GENERATE('Table 1','Table 2')

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@jschubert go to model tab and click "new table" and enter following expression:

Table Combine = CROSSJOIN ( Table1, Table2 )

Table combine will have expected result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut! Connect with me on Linkedin

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jschubert 

You may also use GENERATE Function.

Table 3 = GENERATE('Table 1','Table 2')

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jschubert Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Both methods worked for what I was trying. Thanks a lot!