Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Corey-Flinders
Frequent Visitor

Using an Excel Workbook protected by Information Rights Management

Hi All,

Has any successfully used an Excel Workbook that is stored in a SharPoint Site or OneDrive library protected by Information Rights Management (IRM) as a data source in Power BI?

The error I see when I try says that the file is corrupted. Which isn't the case, as I can successfully open the file in Microsoft Excel.

Any thoughts that you have will be most welcome.

-Corey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Corey-Flinders ,

AFAIK, current power bi not works on encrypted data sources. Please use normal version excel file to instead.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Corey-Flinders ,

According to your description,  I think this should more related to sharepoint. I'd like to suggest you post this to sharepoint related forum to get better support.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I'd argue that this isn't a Sharepoint problem. From what I can see, Sharepoint is working as expected. The Information Rights Management (IRM) permissions are applied to the workbook correctly, and PowerBI successfully retrieves the Microsoft Excel file.

The issue appears to be that Power BI can't open and read from a Microsoft Excel file that is protected by IRM. As the error I see is about a corrupt file. The file isn't corrupt though as it can be succesfully opened in Power BI.

To rephrase my original question then:

Does Power BI support using Microsoft Excel Workbook files that are protected by IRM. If so, how can use these files with Power BI as at the moment I get an error.

With thanks.

-Corey

Hi @Corey-Flinders ,

AFAIK, current power bi not works on encrypted data sources. Please use normal version excel file to instead.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.