Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

satishgupta
Frequent Visitor

Using aggregated data in CALCULATE

It is my understanding that filters in CALCULATE function cannot be expressions. This is preventing me from doing a calculation.

Here are the details:

1. I have daily sales data by client.

2. I can easily get annual sales by client from this data.

3. Once I have the full year totals, I want do use CALCULATE function to sum sales for clients that exceed $100K in ANNUAL sales. CALCULATE doesn’t let me do that.

Is there a way around this?

Thank you

Satish

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You should be able to use something like SUMMARIZE to generate a temp table (VAR). You can then filter that table for annual sales > $100K. You could then return MAX of that table. When you put that measure in a table client you would return the correct results for each client. Still not clear on the use case exactly.

Check out my Mode measures here to see what I am talking about:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Mode-Single-Column/m-p/359150

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Mode-Multiple-Columns/m-p/359148

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for the response.

Please note that I am a relatively novice when it comes to Power BI. I could not even make SUMMARIZE work. Two questions about that.

1. Where do I put SUMMARIZE function, (a) in the sheet that has the table with raw data, (2) in "Advanced Editor" section, or (3) on a blank tab?

2. Will the new, summary table, show up on a new tab or elsewhere?

Given my low level of expertise, if you can point me a place where I can read up on this function that would be great. I printed the function dsecription from msdn.com site, but it does not answer the kind of questions I am asking.

What I am trying to do is relatively simple.

1. Have created a model that takes daily revenue by client data.

2. I am able to create revenue by client, by year, pivot using simple techniques such as a Calendar table.

3. I am now trying to do what a SUMIF command does in Excel. I want to sum items that meet a certain criteria. It is just that I want to set it up in the model itself so that I don't have to redo the math every time I refresh data, which results in change in number of rows.  SUMMARIZE should be able to take care of this, once I am successful at getting the SUMMARIZE table.

Thank you.

Satish

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.