Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eacy
Helper II
Helper II

Using a text string from one column as a column reference in a calculated column

Hi,

I have one table with a column named TBLSYSTEMCODE[TCODE] containing a text string "DCREATED" and an column named TBLSYSTEMCODE[ID] containing the id "1"

Then I have a second table named TBLPO[DCREATED] containing a date "01-01-2016"

And I have a third tabel named TBLMILESTONE[ISYSTEMCODEID] with a value "1"

I want to add a calculated column named TBLMILESTONE[INITIALTIME] which should extract the date "01-01-2016" from TBLPO[CREATED] where TBLSYSTEMCODE[ID] = TBLMILESTONE[ISYSTEMCODEID]

The ideas is that TBLMILESTONE[ISYSTEMCODEID] dynamically will change and refer to a row in TBLSYSTEMCODE[TCODE] which refer to another text string e.g. "DCLOSED" which means that the date to extract is TBLPO[DCLOSED] instead.

So the problem is how to utilize this "Configuration" text string as a colunm reference.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi eacy,

Could you please share us some data sample, or a screenshot of your data model?

If I understand your issue clearly, you would like to use a column value to filter columns in another table, and I don’t think this is available currently.

What I could think out here is, to alter the table 2 “TBLPO”, transform this table and make it owns a column with the same value in “TBLSYSTEMCODE[TCODE]”, then use this two to filter the date.

Regards

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback.

If you think about it, it is quite complicated to document and I belive you got it right.

The main problem I face is to pick up a string from a field and reuse it as a column reference like:

I have:

TABLE[reference string] = "Column A"

I want to use it like:

IF(TABLE[Column A] = TRUE;bla bla bla)

I would like avoid to add any infomation to the TBLPO table as you suggest because in the future I would like to easily exchange that tabel with a table from another backend system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is an old post but I have the exact same issue and was curious if this has been resolved in another post.  I am being passed 1 table with a single column list of job roles ("Salesperson", "Warehouse", "CounterSales") and then I have a complex table with the persons name and those three roles as column names(Columns = AssociateName, Salesperson,Warehouse,CounterSales.)  Please understand this is actually around 100 roles but I simplified.  Is there a way to SUM or FILTER by passing the variable from the list TABLE[reference string] = "Salesperson" and using it as a column reference similar to example above SUM(TABLE[SalesPerson])?  Thank you in advance.

Hi eacy,

I did a deeper research on this topic, still can't find any further helpful infromation on this topic.

Please take consider to submit an idea on this.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.