Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhmiller89
Helper V
Helper V

Using a table with a date ranges

I have a table that has Invoice Date. We want to divide those dates into "periods" based on specific date ranges. I am currently using a giant "IF" statement but since the periods get updated yearly an Excel spreadsheet was uploaded that includes columns 

Start Date | End Date| Period

I need a way to connect the Invoice Date to this table to associate an invoice date with a "period" depending on where it falls. 

Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @bhmiller89 ,

One possible way to deal with this is to expand the table that has the periods in it. 

As I wasn't sure what your table looked like, I created a period table...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUByIjAyMDJR0lYyDHGMYxVIrVgcibwOUN9A3MYBwjuLw5srwlnAOTNzRAMt/QCMYxUYqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Start = _t, End = _t, Period = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start", type date}, {"End", type date}, {"Period", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then expanded the period table...

let
    Source = Period,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each {Number.From([Start])..Number.From([End])}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then merged Invoice table with period, joining on the date columns...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bcqxDcAgDATAXVwj/b8JiMyC2H+NSGCnoj3dnEaBDqfTiom0VQ7WG7bEJ1AV7P9MHeCb2MKckBL71vUB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Amount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Date"}, PeriodTableExpanded, {"Custom"}, "PeriodTableExpanded", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded PeriodTableExpanded" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "PeriodTableExpanded", {"Period"}, {"Period"})
in
    #"Expanded PeriodTableExpanded"

Here is a link to the PBIX file for your reference. 

PBIX File 

Please let me know if you require further detail.

Regards,

Kim

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @bhmiller89,

Since we not so clear for your data structure, can you please share some dummy data with the expected result? They will be help for test and coding formulas.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You can create a calendar table. And put your period into that. You can create a start date and end date based on period. Like for month we startofmonth function

Connect your invoice date and date of the calendar and you can plot start date ,end date  and no of invoices

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @bhmiller89 ,

One possible way to deal with this is to expand the table that has the periods in it. 

As I wasn't sure what your table looked like, I created a period table...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjDUByIjAyMDJR0lYyDHGMYxVIrVgcibwOUN9A3MYBwjuLw5srwlnAOTNzRAMt/QCMYxUYqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Start = _t, End = _t, Period = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Start", type date}, {"End", type date}, {"Period", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then expanded the period table...

let
    Source = Period,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each {Number.From([Start])..Number.From([End])}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"Custom", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Then merged Invoice table with period, joining on the date columns...

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bcqxDcAgDATAXVwj/b8JiMyC2H+NSGCnoj3dnEaBDqfTiom0VQ7WG7bEJ1AV7P9MHeCb2MKckBL71vUB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Amount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Amount", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"Date"}, PeriodTableExpanded, {"Custom"}, "PeriodTableExpanded", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded PeriodTableExpanded" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "PeriodTableExpanded", {"Period"}, {"Period"})
in
    #"Expanded PeriodTableExpanded"

Here is a link to the PBIX file for your reference. 

PBIX File 

Please let me know if you require further detail.

Regards,

Kim

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.