Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maracles
Resolver II
Resolver II

Using a table column as a list of values for a parameter

I am learning to use parameters and I want to use them to make scraping data from IMDb easier. 

I want to pull in a couple of fields of data per film (release date, country and director) from IMDb and I have a table, one of the columns of which is IMDB ID. 

From there I have created a new source from Web and have used url parts  to identify the film ID that needs change per query. 

See below:

imdb Source.png

I have then created a parameter called IMDB ID which I want to use to populate this URL. See below:

imdb parameter.png

My issue is that I don't want to manually have to add every IMDB title ID to this list of values in the parameter. Instead I have an existing table which contains data imported from a workbook. One of the columns on this table is IMDB ID. Is there no way that I can use this dynamically changing table column to populate the list of values?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @maracles,

=> Instead I have an existing table which contains data imported from a workbook. One of the columns on this table is IMDB ID.

To create a parameter and give it values from this column. You can refer to following steps:

1. Go to Edit Queries, choose the IMDB ID column, go to Transform -> Convert to List. Then you'll get an signle list with IMDB ID values. Please be noticed, if you want to keep original table, duplicate a table before doing convert. Also you can remove duplicates inside this column. Please refer to following sample:

Original TableOriginal TableConvert column RecordType to List and remove duplicatesConvert column RecordType to List and remove duplicates

2. Create a new parameter, set the Suggested Values to Query (the list we generated above), and give a default value.

3.PNG

3. Close&Apply. Then you can see all the values in the column are in the drop down box of this parameter.

4.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @maracles,

=> Instead I have an existing table which contains data imported from a workbook. One of the columns on this table is IMDB ID.

To create a parameter and give it values from this column. You can refer to following steps:

1. Go to Edit Queries, choose the IMDB ID column, go to Transform -> Convert to List. Then you'll get an signle list with IMDB ID values. Please be noticed, if you want to keep original table, duplicate a table before doing convert. Also you can remove duplicates inside this column. Please refer to following sample:

Original TableOriginal TableConvert column RecordType to List and remove duplicatesConvert column RecordType to List and remove duplicates

2. Create a new parameter, set the Suggested Values to Query (the list we generated above), and give a default value.

3.PNG

3. Close&Apply. Then you can see all the values in the column are in the drop down box of this parameter.

4.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Thanks @v-xjiin-msft,

Your steps have worked to list values in the parameter,so I've marked it as the answer.

Unfortunately it seems that I cannot use that method as "Formula.Firewall: Query 'Additional Details' (step 'Source') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination."

So I will need to find an alternative way to scrape the data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.