Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gatanka
Frequent Visitor

Using a slicer to define legend range (or hierarchy?)

Hi there,

I've built a stacked area graph based on demand for different food types.  Each category is defined at three levels: Level 1 (Vegetarian/Non-veretarian), Level 2 (fruit, vegetable...), and Level 3 (apple, bannana....).

I'd like the user to be able to view this data at each of the three levels, depending on thier preference. 

I've tried setting up the "Level" as part of a hierarchy, but when I try to drill up/down I only manage to interrogate the date hierarchy. I'd be equally satisfied if the "Level" could be defined by a slicer.  I thought I'd found a way to do this by using a DAX expression to dynamically filter the column in the legend field, but so far nothing I've done has worked. 

Below is an example showing what I'm trying to model.  Clockwise from top right shows that three "levels" I want the user to be able to select - I'd just like it to be available in one visual. Sample screen grabs of my data tables also below. 

Gatanka_4-1673600707962.png

Gatanka_2-1673600478717.png Gatanka_3-1673600504207.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnt75
Super User
Super User

Create a field parameter which includes the three levels and use that on the slicer and in the legend.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Gatanka
Frequent Visitor

Field parameters!

Sir, you've just saved my bacon! That is exactly the functionality I was looking for.  Thank you for your response and letting me get on with the rest of my day! 🙂

johnt75
Super User
Super User

Create a field parameter which includes the three levels and use that on the slicer and in the legend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.