Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nbcholst
Frequent Visitor

Using a slicer to choose between a subset of options

I have a column with 3 potential values: A, B, and C

I want to create a slicer that allows a user to choose whether or not to include B or C, but *always* includes A.

Is this possible? Are there any "hacks" to getting this done?

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nbcholst,

It looks like you want to set "A" as a default selection of slicer. However, it is not possible to force a specific value as default selection.

You could submit this idea at this page.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

You can set the default. Select it in the slicer and then save the report.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I can think of a cludge.

force the A value using a page filter. Then remove it from the filter using s visualization filter, leaving just the B and C.

"force the A value using a page filter. "

Can you explain what this means? I don't know how to make it mandatory that a page shows a value,

As far as I know a slicer will just stack on top of the page filter - if the visualization slicer just selects B & C, then including A in the page filter won't force it onto the visualization.

dramus
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

My response last night was from my head. I tried it this morning in PBI Desktop and it didn't work out as I thought it would.

However! I did manage to get it to work another way. I don't know how feasible this will be (it will depend on how many items you have in your slicer.

I created a data table:

Data Table.PNG

A Slicer lookup table

Slicer Table.PNG

And a table of just the keys to join this many-to-many together

Key Table.PNG

The end model looks like this

Joins.PNG

Then created a table visualisation for the Data table and used the Slicer field from the Slicer table on a Slicer

Report.PNG

I can email you the PBIX file is you would like it. PM me.

This is a brilliantly simple solution and I just used it to solve a similar problem. Thanks!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.