Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

67nmark
Helper I
Helper I

Using a measure returning a date inside an IF function

Hello,

I have created a measure:

Date marker = VALUES(tblVisit[MaxDate])

The measure produces the correct result.

I want to use the measure inside an IF function in a new column (in a different table), something like:

IF(tbl[Date]>[Date marker],"y","n")

This gives me an error: 'A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was selected'.

If I hard code a date everything works fine:

IF(tbl[Date]>DATE(2018,04,01),"y","n")

Is anyone able to let me know why using the measure does not work?

Cheers,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I have sorted the issue out - my problem was driven by a number of issues, the largest of which was that my date measure was formatted as text!!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I can tell, Date Marker is being used to return a list of dates.  When you enter your IF statement, you are checking if tbl[DATE] is greater than your list of dates.  Since you haven't provided a method of aggregation of that list, Power BI is unsure what you are trying to do.

The points I would raise here are:

• How is [Date Marker] any different in logic to simply using tblVisit[MaxDate] inside a formula?  Is the date marker measure doing what you intended it to do?
  • What logic is your IF statement supposed to be?  Are you trying to get a list of dates and you want tbl[Date] to be greater than all of the dates aggregated together?
  • Reading your various measures, they are written more like custom columns.  I don't think this is what you intended.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I have sorted the issue out - my problem was driven by a number of issues, the largest of which was that my date measure was formatted as text!!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello,

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors