Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a measure instead of a calculated column...uhm...

I have this schema:

2018-10-06_0105.png

This is a SalesForce schema. Each Account (client) has many opportunities (options to buy a product) which may have many Opportunity Product. Then for each Opportunity Product there's a Price Book Entry and a related Product.

What I want to achieve is, for each Account, having how many distinct Family of Products have been sold.

There's probably a more straightforward way to do it, but my approach was two steps

1) add a calculated column in Opportunity Product with this formula 

Product Family = related('Product'[Family])
So now I have the Family in the Opportunity Product, at the "closer end" of the one-to-many relationship

2) add a calculated column in Account with this formula

Number of Families = CALCULATE(distinctcount('Opportunity Product'[Product Family]);RELATEDTABLE('Opportunity Product'))

This gets the rows in Opportunity Product which are related to the Account and then calculate the distinct values of Product Family within this subset

Now, this works perfectly, but it's a calculated column and therefore

1) it's memory used

2) it will ignore any filter I apply (for example, choosing a subset of Opportunity)

If I create a Measure with this formula, it doesn't really work, as CALCULATE will ignore any filter applied in the report.

So the questions are 3

1) is the CALCULATE correctly written?

2) was there a more straightforward formula (a single one in the Account instead of 2 ? 

3) can i have the 2nd step built as a measure instead of a column

(p.s. I'm a DAX not-anymore-beginner-but-still-definitely-not-even-intermediate :-))

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please share the pbix file if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, unfortunately it's a pbix with lots of business data and I can't share it. Even thinking about cleaning it up, it will take a lot of time...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.