Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a list of ID´s as a changing part of URL in Query for Rest Api Get-method

Let´s imagine that I am attempting to create a dynamic report for my organization that would get data from Finlands national open Rest Api resource for service data ,https://api.palvelutietovaranto.suomi.fi/swagger/ui/index.html , connecting to it´s Get-methods by URL in Power Query. 

What I am trying to do is to have the URL´s ID ending change according to a separate list of ID´s in Power Query.  

For example we have: /api/v10/ServiceChannel/{id} 

And I have tried with: /api/v10/ServiceChannel/?filter=id eq 'id_list'" , (id_list being the name of my list of ID codes)

Though what I have tried doesn´t work, I just get a general list of all the service channels without any reference to the list of ID´s. Also I have tried creating a parameter from the id-list but I get the same result.

So I want the id_list to roll nicely in the url end and work dynamicly so that it can be easily updated if the list changes. I have  watched some videos and read forum post regarding this kind of thing and similar cases (string query, parameters etc.), but somehow I just don´t seem to get it. Is it so that I would need some M-language function? If so, how should it be? 

(Is this even possible?)

Also that example API restricts the number of items in a list to 100, I would want to have much more ID´s in the list, will that be a problem? How could I get over that in the most efficient way? Or is cutting the list of ID´s into separate lists the only option? (And would that be reasonable...)

Thank you for help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Are there any other APIs that can fetch all data at one call? It would be a performance bottleneck to call the API hundreds of times. 

2. The limit 100 is from the definition of the API. I'm afraid we can't overwrite it.

3. There could be several ways you can try.

3.1 List all the IDs and add a new column like below.

Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.palvelutietovaranto.suomi.fi/api/v10/Service/" & [Column1.id]))

Using-a-list-of-ID-s-as-a-changing-part-of-URL-in-Query-for-Rest-Api-Get-method

3.2 Hide these steps in the code, only output the final result.

3.3 Try out the Python or R script.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Are there any other APIs that can fetch all data at one call? It would be a performance bottleneck to call the API hundreds of times. 

2. The limit 100 is from the definition of the API. I'm afraid we can't overwrite it.

3. There could be several ways you can try.

3.1 List all the IDs and add a new column like below.

Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.palvelutietovaranto.suomi.fi/api/v10/Service/" & [Column1.id]))

Using-a-list-of-ID-s-as-a-changing-part-of-URL-in-Query-for-Rest-Api-Get-method

3.2 Hide these steps in the code, only output the final result.

3.3 Try out the Python or R script.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you a lot! This was useful! Got it working with creating a new column according to the id-list. (3.1)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.