Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Asjen
Frequent Visitor

Using a (data) parameter in measures, to change behaviour of buttons

Hi all,

After trying in all sorts of ways and looking at a lot of other forum posts, I still could not get it to work, so here's my question!

We deliver reports to a number of customers, some of which have a Basic subscription and some of which have a Plus subscription. How I would like it to work:

• We have defined a parameter "CustomerName" in which we select which customer the report is for
  • We have defined a table "Subscriptions" in which we identify for each customer whether he has the Basic of Plus subscription

My goal is to create a measure which looks at the parameter value for CustomerName I have set, and then finds the subscription name in the Subscriptions-table. Using that measure, I can then build different other measures that can e.g. determine what text to display or to which destinations buttons should go.

However, I can't get it to work: I cannot 'extract' the parameter value in a measure. How should this be done?

Hereby you find a couple of screenshots to clarify.

I hope you can help, thanks in advance!

Regards,

Asjen

2021-04-15 16_45_13-Manage Parameters.png2021-04-15 16_49_00-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png2021-04-15 16_49_58-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Asjen ,

I think you may need to pull your parameter values into their own queries to be able to reference their values in measures.

Try creating a blank query in Power Query and coding it like this:

let
  Source = #table({"paramCustomer"}, {{#"CustomerName"}})
in
  Source

This should give you a single-value table to reference in calculations.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Asjen ,

I think you may need to pull your parameter values into their own queries to be able to reference their values in measures.

Try creating a blank query in Power Query and coding it like this:

let
  Source = #table({"paramCustomer"}, {{#"CustomerName"}})
in
  Source

This should give you a single-value table to reference in calculations.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Asjen
Frequent Visitor

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.