Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daniel122
Employee
Employee

Using a Measure to Calculate the Number of Workdays Using Conditions.

I've been struggling to create this measure. I was able to do this using a column, but was forced to change to a measure due to serious performance issues.

• Two case types distinguished by an identifier called "ID":
    • Type 1 - has a column that contains the number of work days each case has been open. (this is the easy part) 
    • Type 2 - If the case is open, then (Earliest Date - Latest Date). If closed, then (Earliest Date - Last Modified Date)
      • The way you tell if Type 2 is open or closed is using the identifier called "Status Reason"
        • If Status Reason is "Closed", "Approved", "Denied", or "Failed to Provide Additional Documentation", then closed, otherwise it is open. 
      • Need to calculate the number of work days between the two dates
  • Date table contains a True/False column on whether the date is a workday or not
  • The ultimate goal is to calculate the average amount of workdays in each case by month

I'm probably butchering this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current Measure:

Duration_Days =
VAR ID =
    MIN ( Fact[ID] )
VAR StatusReason =
    MIN ( Fact[Status Reason] )
VAR EarliestDate_Type2 =
    MIN ( Fact[Created On] )
VAR LatestOpenDate_Type2 =
    MAX ( Fact[Created On] )
VAR LatestClosedDate_Type2 =
    MAX ( Fact[Modified On] )
VAR Type1 = AVERAGE ( Fact[Days Open] )
VAR Type2_Open = CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'Date' ), ALL ( 'Date' ), 'Date'[IsWorkingDay] = TRUE, 'Date'[Date] >= EarliestDate_Type2, 'Date'[Date] <= LatestOpenDate_Type2 )
VAR Type2_Closed = CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( 'Date' ), ALL ( 'Date' ), 'Date'[IsWorkingDay] = TRUE, 'Date'[Date] >= EarliestDate_Type2, 'Date'[Date] <= LatestClosedDate_Type2 )
RETURN IF ( ID = "Type1", Type1, IF ( ID = "Type2", IF ( StatusReason = "Closed" || StatusReason = "Approved" || StatusReason = "Denided" || StatusReason = "Failed to Provide Additional Documentation", Type2_Closed, Type2_Open ) ) )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel122
Employee
Employee

I was able to query fold this calculation into power query, which drastically improved performance. Using the Invoke Custom Function helped me rewrite the logic to create a new column in power query.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Daniel122
Employee
Employee

I was able to query fold this calculation into power query, which drastically improved performance. Using the Invoke Custom Function helped me rewrite the logic to create a new column in power query.

AnthonyTilley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Are you able to provide some sample data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

The original dataset has almost 5M rows, so I reduced it down to something more manageable. Thanks very much in advance.

Sample Data Here. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.