Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tlenzmeier
Helper II
Helper II

Using a Date Parameter Across Mutliple Tables

Hello,

I have three different tables: 1. Customer invoice table, 2. Customer payment table, and 3. Past due table. The first two tables have a one-to-many join to my date dimension. The past due table is free-standing. I have a page in my Power BI report that has a line chart and a table. I am limping along with three date slicers; one for each table. I'm thinking there has got to be a better way and a better user experience than having to select the same date for each slicer on the same page. Typically, I'd think this is an ideal place for a parameter.

Example: Sum of all customer invoices as of a general ledge date, let's say December 31st. I need all invoices on or before that date. Second, sum of all payments received from customers as of December 31st. Finally, I need to know how many days past due each invoice is and this is where the past due table comes in since I use a DATEDIFF function here. So now I have to select the same date across 3 slicers in order to synchronize the dates.

In a perfect world, the user would select one date from one slicer/list and that would affect each of the other three tables. I am reluctant to force a user to edit a query in order to essentially filter the data.

Any recommendations?

Thank you, in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
ricardocamargos
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @tlenzmeier,

Why don't u create a date dimension ? 

Ricardo

I do have a date dimension.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.